Rivendell Radio Automaiton

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
txradiocowboy

Rivendell Radio Automaiton

Post by txradiocowboy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Who here uses Rivendell Automation? Especially the Ubuntu based Live CD, RRABUNTU http://rrabuntu.sourceforge.net/ I am using it at my station, KSOX AM 1240 and it has been working perfectly. I would like to know if there are others here using it in a network configuration as well as using it to control audio switchers.

themarcshow

Re: Rivendell Radio Automaiton

Post by themarcshow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:25 am

I'm not using it daily but I'm in the process of installing it and playing just for fun. I'm having issues thought as the computer I want to put it on isn't playing nicely with 'boot from cd'.

I plan to put in out at transmitter building and just run a generic log as a backup music source.

Have you looked at the wiki for Rivendell yet? http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Main_Page ?
It has a section about setting up a networked installation as well as switcher setups.

Good luck!
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:34 pm

themarcshow wrote:I'm having issues thought as the computer I want to put it on isn't playing nicely with 'boot from cd'.
Is it possible whatever software you used to write the .iso file to the CD wrote it out properly? Some don't know how to deal with a disk image. Try putting the CD in a machine that's already booted, and use Windows Explorer to see what's on the disk. If it's only one .iso file, your CD-burning software is the problem.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Bosco

Post by Bosco » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:17 pm

I just put Rivendell on in Indianola, IA at KSTM. Perfect for a college station. Now if I could just get the students to read the book on how to use it. Right now, it is set up to make it's own playlist with no dayparting or music scheduling. Just a big clock with anything playing in the list at random.... 60 to 2015.... It's a quite capable system. I could do about all of the tricks a NextGen or Siminan system can do. I'd highly recommend it.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 am

I have it on a netbook, the display won't scale down, so it's just sitting there for now. I couldn't get it to run on Ubuntu 14, but that was a while ago since I tried. IFIRC, it wouldn't play out of a USB sound dongle I had laying around, maybe a newer unit (something Ubuntu/alsa recognizes) would work. I may get back to it *one of these days*.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

TvRadioGuy

Post by TvRadioGuy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm

With Rivendell The best way is to get the ISO from Paravells site and then burn it make your DVD. Its best to use their setup because the setup is also more smoother it has all the packages and it will install everything you need to get up and running. It may ask you to do updates for centos 6. If you do the updates you may loose some of the set up and you may have to start all over again. In my experience once you get it set up don't update But its up to you. Once yo get it set up it runs very well it solid but if you are not familiar with linux you may have to read the wiki to get any special thing running.

Good Luck

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm fairly convinced that our little station is going to have to move to Rivendell; we have stationplaylist, but it's Windows, and I'm coming round to Windows being an unsuitable platform for a 24x7 operation. There is a version of Windows/10 that does appear to be useful, called the Windows 10 enterprise LTSB, the Long Time Servicing Branch, but you have to be on a volume licensing agreement to get it. So great for big organisations, but not so much for the little guys.

Just so I could have a play I downloaded the ISO from the Paravell site and installed it in a VM on my Windows 10 PC, and it looks quite impressive, and the Windows version of the library app, whilst visually unappealing, does seem to work too. All this needs is the free VMPlayer application. It takes some faffing to get it to install, but once in it just seems to work.

The display geometry is bugging me; touchscreens today are bigger than the old school POS touchscreens, so I'll need to figure out how that is adjusted.

Paravell's ISO is based on Centos, which for reliability, is probably the best (free) distribution.

I'm just spitballing at the moment, but am thinking of 2 PCs running in live/standby mode, with replicated databases and content.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

It's always interesting to hear about stations that have Station Playlist or Simian problems and have come to the conclusion their problems revolve around Windows reliability.

Maybe the odds have worked in my favor, but I have nearly zero problems with Windows. I have Simian installations, running up to 4-instance versions, that operate 24/7 with nary a hiccup. I've never had to schedule reboots or show up to reset a locked-up computer. I also use Windows units in quite a few remote locations where the computer acts as the station's audio processor. In one case, I have a translator I haven't seen in 2 1/2 years that has a Win7 install up there.

I have another business with 11 POS computers 1 automation and 4 audio processors, all running Windows, some running 24/7 and others shut down at the end of business each night. None of them have given me trouble.

I understand everyone has their own experience with this stuff. Mine is that pulling out all the junque software, drivers and utilities usually makes for a very stable machine.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Mine is that pulling out all the junque software, drivers and utilities usually makes for a very stable machine.
In the words of the great detective Colombo, "I'm gonna write that down!"

Faffing isn't in my dictionary; can I get a translation? :)
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:08 am

We've had the Windows 10 "mandatory" upgrades uninstall the ASI sound cards on our Simian machines ("Mandatory" in the sense that they are going to do them whether you want them or not--only option is to change registry settings).

radiosavage

Post by radiosavage » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 pm

My experience with Windows 10 has been very good so far. However, I still like Ubuntu a whole lot and Rivendell is a nice system.

The one thing I would say with Windows 10 is that I always reinstall the operating system without the Manufacturer add-ons. Dell has been the most kind with their Optiplex line. You can install Dell Command Update and it will pull just the drivers that a Windows 10 Update doesn't. If you can get the LTSB version of Windows 10 then do it. That line is designed for computers that need a great deal of uptime. Furthermore, I have used GPEDIT.msc on the local computer to turn off automatic updates.

* At Your Own Risk of Course

Type in GPEDIT.MSC (edit group policy) on the computer.
Under Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates
Then pick Windows Components and you will find another folder called Windows Updates
You should then see a setting called Configure Automatic Updates
Click the Edit this Policy link
Pick the Disabled setting

The Disabled setting:
"If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start."

You will need to reboot after changing the setting. I know this works on Windows 10 Professional/Enterprise/LTSB but not sure about other editions.

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:56 pm

RodeoJack wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm
It's always interesting to hear about stations that have Station Playlist or Simian problems and have come to the conclusion their problems revolve around Windows reliability.
We don't have a problem, the stationplaylist runs just fine, and we like it. The system is rock solid stable.

Except when Windows decides it's time to do an update. The system doesn't crash; it does an orderly shutdown.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 am

RodeoJack: Please check your PMs. I have a question for you.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:41 pm

FWIW. The OP (Original Poster) of this question/thread hasn't returned here since 2012...
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Shane wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 am
RodeoJack: Please check your PMs. I have a question for you.
Done!