SS32 Radio Spider ?

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
AltheEngineer

SS32 Radio Spider ?

Post by AltheEngineer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Our PD is going to call Wide Orbit on getting a download manager to save the correct files for weathers and shows on the weekends unattended. I looked up the Radio Spider, and am familiar with WWOne and Media Shooter, but where and what format do the .WAV files go to? I am thinking Production Room and the Director will then distribute them to the stations they go to. Weather Channel usually has an FTP site for their reports and that can be automated with EZ FTP. Question is there an open source file converter, or do we pay for the shareware?

AltheEngineer

Re: SS32 Radio Spider ?

Post by AltheEngineer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 pm

OK, just got done searching, and now it comes back to me that we used MS Synctoy on NexGen. There is also a Syncback program that does about the same thing in that it replaces audio in a file with one converted from a downloaded .MP3 when the task scheduler calls for it. Put this in a batch file that gets the ftp and somehow this keeps the weathers fresh.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Al;

I have a batch file I use to download (FTP) hourly weather and a couple of long-form features for SS32. It uses Lame encoder to correct the sample rate and spits out a WAV file directly to the on-air SS32. No human intervention needed. Windows task scheduler runs it as necessary.
The only downside is the Scott header is left empty, so the title shows as "name" on the on-air screen. If you want a copy, shoot me a PM or email.

You could roll your own too. Lame encoder is free, set it to convert to 44100 WAV, use a batch file to rename to SPxxxx.WAV, then copy to the on-air machine /Audio/xxx folder as appropriate.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

AltheEngineer

Post by AltheEngineer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks Chuck,
The Radio Spider that Wide Orbit said was share ware costs about $200 so I just found out when I was asked how it was comming. So I'll shoot you a note and get the particulars. The free ware is all just a come on to get you to sign up for a downloader and then after oks and a bunch of spamware denials, no radio spider in sight. Just waiting for the FBI on that one.
Al WSPT

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 pm

AltheEngineer wrote:Thanks Chuck,
The Radio Spider that Wide Orbit said was share ware costs about $200 so I just found out when I was asked how it was comming. So I'll shoot you a note and get the particulars. The free ware is all just a come on to get you to sign up for a downloader and then after oks and a bunch of spamware denials, no radio spider in sight. Just waiting for the FBI on that one.
Al WSPT
Did you expect any less from Jim Barcus? :mrgreen: I had lots of fun with him back when he was selling Auto Jock music scheduler software. The promises were wonderful...the software not so much.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

amradiofan

Post by amradiofan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 pm

We're experimenting with "radio spider" (DJB) and overall, its not bad. It did, however need some extra "code"
in the URL/FTP to make it to work with our programming suppliers. The instructions supplied are far from complete for even a well-qualified computer person,
and....though they offer a "stand alone AM" discount, they denied that to us, unless we had 5 or more stations. Go figure. I'd think they'd be better off
knocking off $20 from each of two licenses than to sell just ONE to an owner who can automate a between-stations transfer of files.

My engineer tells me that as-provided Spider didn't function, which is what irritated me when I tried to make it work (myself) time and time again. He figured out what as missing from the instructions and code,after a program vendor who gave us the code for their show! That shed light on what we needed for ALL providers.

We've got it working fairly well, still on the trial basis. We use ENCO, so ENCO needs a "dummy file" of equal or longer length than the expected download behind
the scenes before beginning any downloads, and doesnt care what that file-is, as long as it sees a DATA entry for a cut and a matching cut BEHIND the scenes. It just knows to play the associated wavefile. Spider is instructed to grab the updated file at the appropriate time, convert it, and drop it in overwriting the existing CUTS file.

Seems to work well for repeat cuts like newscasts that are updated throughout the day, given that the program
supplier keeps up THEIR end of the deal and provides new files!

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 am

ChuckG wrote: Did you expect any less from Jim Barcus? :mrgreen: I had lots of fun with him back when he was selling Auto Jock music scheduler software. The promises were wonderful...the software not so much.
I had been one of the many who were unhappy with various aspects of Barcus's software. In my case I had his then-new Windows-based automation system trash my entire cuts database while attempting to migrate from his DOS-based product. This disaster led to my migrating to a different automation solution altogether.

An important note, Ron Paley had purchased the company from Barcus back in April according this is article in Radio World. I was told by a VO guy who is quite familiar with the product that they will be actively re-writing it to be more dependable. I would also expect the support to be much more reliable as well.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions