Question about Audio Files on SS32 Air/Dispatch/Productio

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
userjf

Question about Audio Files on SS32 Air/Dispatch/Productio

Post by userjf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:06 pm

So, SS32 has 3 machines: AIR, PRODUCTION, and DISPATCH

Questions:

The DISPATCH machine should NEVER have any audio files on it, correct? The files are transferred from Production TO Air, and Dispatch simply controls that transfer but Dispatch itself should never have any audio files on it's hard drive. IS THAT CORRECT?

When audio files are put into the Production computer, and then transferred with TLC to the Air computer... the files stay on the Prodution computer, and are therefore taking up space on both computers. Eventually, the Production computer has a MASSIVE amount of files because they don't get deleted and just keep adding up. Is there someway to automatically delete files from production after TLC causes them to be transferred to the Air computer? Am I misunderstanding the function of the machines here?

boiseengineer(old)

Re: Question about Audio Files on SS32 Air/Dispatch/Producti

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Most of the SS32 installs I've seen Dispatch runs on the server that has a copy of all the audio that's on your AIR machines.
Also kept on the server are copies of the config and other files that make SS32 run (like *.skd, .*air etc.) and the common Merge folders/files.

Big positive about that is you have backups that make rebuilding an air machine easier.

Also, if the producion PCs have licensed SS32 audio cards* you can run "Backup SS32" on them when an air PC is out of service. It uses the copied files on the server instead of the local machine.

* In our case SS32 licenses are tied to the serial numbers of the PRO audio cards used in your system.

We don't use the automatic delete function. Also have TLC default set to not delete on server and air machines when a file is deleted locally. Makes for more work keeping things cleaned out but it's safer.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:54 am

boiseengineer wrote:Most of the SS32 installs I've seen Dispatch runs on the server that has a copy of all the audio that's on your AIR machines.
The only time I've NOT seen them set up that way was in the small single station scenarios where the production machine was doing double duty as dispatch. (which I don't recommend).
Normal file transfer is from Production to dispatch, then dispatch sends a copy (actually signals the SS32 to pull the file) to the designated SS32's.
You should have three copies of every audio file- one on the TLC machine, a second on Dispatch and a third on the SS32. If your SS32 has a disk failure, it can play audio over the network from the Dispatch. ("double disk" setting)
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Only problem we had with double disk enabled is when we had to take the server down for any reason. The SS32 program would freeze/stop playing for a minute or more as it tried & fails to look up or play a file from the server.
One way around that is to disable the Local Area Connection on the SS32 when you need to reboot the server. But you can only do that if you're logged on and running SS32 as an administrator.