ENCO DAD, Your experiences?

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
nathanlawson

ENCO DAD, Your experiences?

Post by nathanlawson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 am

Hey all,

I have recently started with a station in the UK using DAD, v12. It's the only station I know if in the UK still using it... Anyone else still on DAD and what are your thoughts?

Nathan

Muadeeb

Re: ENCO DAD, Your experiences?

Post by Muadeeb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 am

Most ESPN Radio O&O stations use Enco. Not the latest and greatest version (I think Dallas is still on v9), but they run is very successfully. It would be my first choice for any new install.
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

Conelrad

Post by Conelrad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

I have done engineering work for several stations here is the Southwest states using the ENCO DAD system for audio storage & playback.

It performs well, is reliable, and has great support when needed. The factory will work with any user to your satisfaction.

Dennis

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm using Enco here. I'm still getting the hang of it - it's got a steep learning curve on the admin side, but it's exceptionally powerful in what it can do.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

nathanlawson

Post by nathanlawson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey BroadcastDoc,

It is indeed a very flexible system, do you use the presenter interface of the good old PBK and mini arrays? I actually have a DAD 5.2b system at home so im self taught :)

ps. im a huge fan of TWIRT :)

Nathan

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 pm

First off - thanks for watching!

We use the fancy-pants presenter interface here. The on-air folks seem to like it!

The only thing I'm not a fan of is how they charge you for every single option that they offer, many of which should (in my opinion) be part of the system. Other than that I really am impressed with it the deeper I dig. It really does a lot.
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

When we moved, we converted to DAD as well as installed Wheatnet. DAD is very powerful, but we should have not done the conversion at the move. The learning curve was excessively steep for our staff learning a new facility as well as automation. The old system (MediaTouch) could have moved with little problem and simply I/O'd with Wheatnet like a B-Tools 8x2. Hindsight 20/20.

And yes, their al-la-cart pricing can be maddening. Ended up spending a few K more than planned adding Audition seats, some music sorting software, their version of DropBox and their FTP system after the fact.

A year and a half later we're now just starting to experiment with what it can do. My new OPS Manager knows it well from his old gig. Me...not so. No time to invest. But if you want options to do things, it has them and more.

RG

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:58 pm

KGBI has been using DAD since some time in the 90's. Still using it, currently on v8.0, probably majorly upgrading soon. We added our two AM stations to it in 2007.

I'm going to sound like a salesman here, but I look at the pricing in reverse: If they charged you the "full" price that you would pay for "everything" you would be paying for stuff you might not need or want. It can actually be a way to SAVE some money because you can outfit different workstations differently and if a workstation blows up, you take the dongle from it and put it on a replacement and the replacement will have the same capabilities even if it didn't have those capabilities where it was taken from. Among other things, this means you can have a "backup" unit or studio that isn't normally fully decked out but if the "main" goes south, the "backup" can borrow it's dongle and have the same functionality - also depending on the sound card and video setups, of course. So there you've saved some money not having to fully deck out the production machine.

If your needs are simple, you can do a DAD system today very affordably. If your needs are large, there are ways to trim to meet budget - just be sure you plan well so you're not buying things later that weren't in said budget - see above. Their stuff is extremely scalable. It's not one-size-fits-all. They will customize a system just for you. They will write things just for you if that's what it takes.

It is in the long pull more reliable than what I had worked with before and unlike some systems it's good for any format you can invent. There's always a way to do what you want it to do and the support is very helpful in making that happen and quick to respond when there are problems. Support is also an "extra." If yours is a small system and you have IT-savvy folks in your plant, you might consider going without. I'd rather not.

I haven't used Presenter yet - maybe next year. But it looks good, taking the best parts of similar modules in a typical DAD system for a live interface. It will take me awhile to get used to the new "look" after using AirPlay now for several years, but it's not all that much different really.

They don't change stuff for the sake of change either. The basic playback machine (PBK) is very much the same as it was in 1990 although it looks a lot nicer now.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I agree with you about their support. It is fantastic.

amradiofan

Post by amradiofan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:05 pm

ENCO DAD fan since ordering for (what was then) Tri-State University in Angola, IN. Knew an engineer in a major city who recommended.
Got to see it when it was relatively new, before the "big city" station installed it. Was fascinated and amazed.

When I bought my own station, it came with Enco, and so did the 2nd station(s). Updated all to the same versions 8 years ago. Stable and operating fine ever since.

Not updating in the near future... and don't laugh...our old 4.3 works just FINE. No need to upgrade.

The good: DARN STABLE. Walk away with no worries. The Bad (for them)...so stable, upgrades are not necessary unless you need the "latest, greatest"..and in our case,
we cannot justify the cost! GREAT software, and ...it just WORKS! We've upgraded workstations for better speed, but always the same version re-installed.

With Serial I/O and some clever software, our engineer was able to achieve live streaming without putting ANY APPS on our ENCO workstations. Audio from an external tuner, and artist/title pushed across the network from our air studio to the streaming box in my office, no "proprietary" software on our main studio to affect ENCO's stability. Only a change to the config file!

ENCO gets my vote 24/7.

www.i1430.com