TLC not connecting to DISPATCH

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
bundy316

TLC not connecting to DISPATCH

Post by bundy316 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:52 am

Hello all:

I am part-time Radio Technologist for a small College in Northern Ontario, new to the position this year...

Recently our TLC program will not connect to DISPATCH (or show destinations), AFAIK nothing was changed in the config of TLC. It can see the DISPATCH computer over the network and DISPATCH can see the TLC machine correctly and navigate to each other over the network.

The VT32 program which runs on the same computer as TLC can be picked up by DISPATCH on port 992 and it shows it connected when a show nodes is done in DISPATCH.

When I start TLC it cannot connect to DISPATCH on port 991, settings in TLC are broadcast on 990 and send to 991. Getting failed to connect to DISPATCH error.

We are running on winXP, most of the folders are shared (audio etc...)

I am new to the engineering side, but worked in IT for 16 years and cannot figure out this issue as settings in the apps appear to line up with Scott manuals and their setup (different port numbering aside)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

techboywi

Re: TLC not connecting to DISPATCH

Post by techboywi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Sounds like a firewall issue blocking one of the ports.
Bob Colon
http://www.bobs-world.net (personal site)
http://www.facebook.com/techguy1975 (Facebook page)
Twitter:techguytn1975
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"--James Dean

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 am

3 things to try:

1. In SS32, try finding Dispatch. go Options, IP, Get Dispatch Address. Pay attention to the Local Address shown at the bottom of the screen, especially the port.

2. Check the settings in Dispatch for the path to TLC. If the station folder has changed or moved, correct it.

3. Change the IP address of either TLC machine or SS32.

I've had to change the SS32 address when this happens. Something gets corrupted in the networking, probably at the OS level.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

bundy316

Post by bundy316 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:10 am

KPJL FM wrote:3 things to try:

1. In SS32, try finding Dispatch. go Options, IP, Get Dispatch Address. Pay attention to the Local Address shown at the bottom of the screen, especially the port.

2. Check the settings in Dispatch for the path to TLC. If the station folder has changed or moved, correct it.

3. Change the IP address of either TLC machine or SS32.

I've had to change the SS32 address when this happens. Something gets corrupted in the networking, probably at the OS level.
Our network has IP's that are hardcoded in, so it is entered already into SS32 as 192.168.0.12 and port 990, the two studios have ip's of 192.168.0.10 (main) and 192.168.0.12 (red studio), those computers are connecting to dispatch and showing connected on port 991. The TLC/Prod is 192.168.0.11 and I have disabled the firewall, reset it and reinstalled the firewall .inf file.

In manual from Scott, Dispatch network should only have the IP of the NIC listed in the network section, if more than one NIC than both should be listed, they give a default port of 3000, and it does look like that with only the single NIC and connection to that port and IP.

The ss32 machine is a separate box from dispatch so wary of changing the dispatch machine's IP.

I am going to change the IP on the TLC box and try that....as the firewall reset and not having it running now still fails.

Will update.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Craig

bundy316

Post by bundy316 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:49 am

Changed IP of TLC machine to 192.168.20 and restarted, can path to dispatch computer and see folders but still fails to connect with TLC saying cannot connect to dispatch.

I have started telnet server on both computers and they will connect on the default port 23 from each machine but fail on any other ports including 110, 25 and our listed port of 990 and 991.

Still looking around for something else?

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

I'm shooting in the dark here, not having worked with SS32, but that won't stop me from having an opinion. :D

In your IP address listing, you have two units with the same address. Could have been a typo, but that caught my attention. Also, and again I don't know about SS32 but... The port numbers in use are below 1024. If possible you might try port numbers above 1024; you can always put them back.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Network being my first love (and how I make my living) a couple of things come to mind. Other than the use of Windows XP :D

In no particular order....

First, as mentioned elsewhere, you have two systems with the same IP. That absolutely will not fly. Make sure everything has a different IP. Given what you provided, one of the 192.168.0.12 machines should change to a different address, probably 192.168.0.9 or 192.168.0.13. Having only static addressing onthe network doesn't mean Windows still won't lose it's lunch. I have seen situations where uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter in control panel has fioxed connectivity. Has nothing at all to do with the network itself, everything to do with Windows.

You indicated that you tried telnet to connect - did you try to telnet between the machines on all ports necessary? I.E. telnet 192.168.0.11 990 and see if you get a connection?

Are you certain you have basic IP connectivity (ping each machine from every other machine to be certain)?

Are you sure the Windows Firewall is not getting in the way (or any other security software on the PC)? Try disabling all of the security software and see if it works. If so, reenable the securitry software one at a time until it quits - you have found your culprit. I have seen Windows firewall do odd things, even when it was supposedly disabled.

Have you checked the hardware between the computers (switches) to make sure there is nothing there blocking the traffic on certain ports?

Are the network settings correct (IP, subnet mask, gateway) on each machine?

Do any of the machines in question have more than one network adapter? If so, are the parameters correct? I have seen this confuse Windows as well - it decided to use one adapter for all traffic, regardless of whether or not that is the correct adapter to use.

I have encountered issues like this before in the course of my regular day job, they can be a real pain to diagnose and fix. I am usually working with industrial systems, which cna make getting at the OS to do basic network tests that much more difficult. Good Luck.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

bundy316

Post by bundy316 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:14 am

Thank you for all the replies, we did get things working for a little bit. Changing ports and the start-up order brought it back online and TLC is now connecting.

Although I am now seeing that it is crashing on the database rebuild overnight on the second station, and DLL errors on the second station's start up of ss32 when trying to troubleshoot.

disdata errors are corruption of the database files or possibly errors with directories and it appears to lock up after doing the dump and resort and then when trying to build the Artist database, the first station goes through and dumps/resorts and pushes out the files correctly but the second one.

It appears it will be a weekend troubleshooting issue when no one is around.

But TLC is working a little, pushing content to dispatch but dispatch not pushing to the two stations which then I have to copy over manually so it looks like dispatch has really never worked correctly and the tech just did work-a-rounds to get it on-air.

Thanks again.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:00 am

I haven't had my Dispatch running for some time (my SS32 is just a jukebox at home), but if you still have troubles, let me know and I'll fire it up and take some screenshots of the configurations. IIRC, Dispatch and TLC are picky about naming conventions. No spaces in path/file names. Keep names at 8 char or under. Old stuff from the DOS and early Win days.

If one station works correctly, match up the config settings for the second station with the format of the 1st station.

Lotsa luck to ya'!
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.