Microsoft mandatory updates

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
dbuckley

Microsoft mandatory updates

Post by dbuckley » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Our community station runs StaionPlaylist on a Windows/10 PC, and last night, at 23:15, SPL gracefully got to the end of the current track and stopped. On the early presenter arriving, he noted the PC had shut itself down. My guess is that it got the same W/10 updates my PC got, and it behaved the same way.

Is there some strategy I should be employing to stop updates happening at stupid times? It seems that Microsoft are getting increasingly aggressive in insisting that updates take place, and the best one can do is select a small (10 hour) window when they shouldn't happen.

PID_Stop

Re: Microsoft mandatory updates

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Aggressive isn't the word! I had set my home machine (an "upgrade" from W7 to W10) to not do automatic updates... and one morning several weeks ago I found that not only had it done one anyway, it managed to wipe my profile (and many of my short-term documents that had been stored on the desktop). We're back to Windows 7...

:evil:

-- Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 pm

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 14Feedback

Might help.

It's been an issue for ham radio contesters. Having one's PC reboot itself in the middle of a fast & furious string of contacts could literally mean the difference between victory & defeat. I've done this registry change on the box in my hamshack & it works as advertised. I get notice the update is available - I can install it at my leisure.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I've toyed with simply disabling the Windows Update service, but only for machines that don't otherwise touch the internet for online surfing. I haven't fully confirmed that this does indeed prevent the unexpected reboots or shutdowns yet.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:31 am

On one of the engineering mailing lists a very IT knowledgeable engineer opined that it is not possible to completely disable the Win 10 update service, and that the best solution might be to put the machine behind a good firewall that will allow no communication with Microsoft. I guess that's what you run into when you try to use a smartphone as a mission critical computer.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 am

My automation units are not on-line and are XP and will probably stay on XP unless an automation update requires Win 7. You can turn off the update service in 7. I have not worked at all with 10 yet.

I had a Win 7 streaming machine do auto updates and then reboot, knocking everyone off the stream for awhile. Sometimes they don't come all the way back up to where they are streaming again. I got fed up with that, so I turned off the service. Happened to mention it to one of our IT guys in passing. He said, "I don't know if that's a good idea." Sometime after that, I re-enabled the service. The streaming apparently runs as a service, too, so it comes back up as long as the machine does.

My other streaming and logger computers are all XP (one of the loggers is running W2000 even). They are in their own little club on the LAN and don't seem to cause any trouble.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:08 am

Shane wrote:... do auto updates and then reboot ...
One of the many reasons why I do not allow any computer, including my personal machines, to do any automatic updates other than the virus definitions for my security suite.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:48 pm

From Tom Ray re: auto updates in Win 10:

... found a registry hack. There is no "turn off updates". But....if you change a registry entry to define this as a metered connection, it won't update. But, you have to "take ownership" of that registry key and give yourself permissions. Really, Microsoft. Why do you make this stuff so convoluted?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Bill DeFelice wrote:I've toyed with simply disabling the Windows Update service, but only for machines that don't otherwise touch the internet for online surfing. I haven't fully confirmed that this does indeed prevent the unexpected reboots or shutdowns yet.
Bill, I tried exactly that on a couple Win 10 machines....it didn't work. The registry hack mentioned above does though.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:41 pm

@ChuckG: I had forgotten to mention that the switch / router these machines were on have most every M$ IP addresses used for update access blocked, which is most likely the reason that disabling the service appeared to have worked. I forgot about that little experiment.

I'm going to perform the registry fix on a few machines to see what happens.

I also have Active Directory in our office and I'm going to hang a few Win 10 boxes on it to see if WSUS can be made to suppress updates or not. Most of the machines on our network are Win7 with a few rogue XP boxes.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions