Arrakis Digilink 2 v3 software

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
Joe Friday

Arrakis Digilink 2 v3 software

Post by Joe Friday » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 am

Please stop laughing...I know you are....BUT I have a client that was still using a DL2 as their main automation system until last night. I installed it in 1995. I have been warning them for years that they were playing with fire, but to no avail.

Anyway...yesterday afternoon they took a power line surge, and it wiped out the power supply, the hard drive for the OS, and the hard drive controller card. I was able to rob a power supply and controller card out of another unit we picked up locally several years ago from another station. The problem is, the hard drive from that machine has a different version of the software installed, and crashes right after it loads, with instructions to "note what last happened last and call Arrakis support" I am a little surprised, as the box is on a UPS. The same surge also took out their WW1 Wegener iPump receiver for their music format. Everything else in the building is OK. I did have to power cycle the Audioarts board to settle it down, but it gracefully recovered.

In any event, does anyone possibly have a copy of the 3 1/2 floppies with the Digilink V3 program install files? I have a copy of MSDOS around here somewhere, but not the program.

Any help would be appreciated. There are some critical audio files on the old machine. As many of you may recall, the audio file format that Arrakis on this system is proprietary.

Thanks,

Kevin

RGORJANCE

Re: Arrakis Digilink 2 v3 software

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Kevin:

I installed a 5 studio, 2 station Digilink some years ago. They still have some of the hardware and he is going to look for the software. It might be a few days before I hear back from him.

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:04 pm

I am a little surprised, as the box is on a UPS.
Yeah, UPSs are real good at springing the "nope, not gonna work today" surprise on you right when you need them the most.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 am

It looks like management has found the floppy disks I used about 15 years when the original OS drive died. Hopefully they are still usable. Thanks to all who responded. .

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
I am a little surprised, as the box is on a UPS.
Yeah, UPSs are real good at springing the "nope, not gonna work today" surprise on you right when you need them the most.
Most of them have surprisingly little for power line filtering and surge protection. A single MOV across the line isn't uncommon.
If you are really unlucky they follow the power line spike with a pair of switching transients of their own when the line transfer relay operates.

Joe, I'm not laughing. I know of three stations still running Digilink and a 4th with the system boxed up in a closet in case your disks don't read.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:00 am

Chuck,

Thanks for your thoughts. The Digilink was officially put down yesterday. The final "nail in the coffin" was an inoperable 3 1/2" floppy drive. I was unable to do anything to get the drive to work. I had three drives, two controller cards, two cables, and even swapped the mother boards. The machine simply would not even attempt to read the disk.

I hate to throw in the towel, but you can only bang your head against the wall for so long.

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and responses.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:39 am

Try Simian. Relatively reliable, works on Windows 10. You will need to get a new sound card, but good luck getting the old sound card to work in any modern computer.