Interesting Simian problem

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
TPT

Interesting Simian problem

Post by TPT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 pm

We use the MCDAQ (Measurement computing) I/O devices with Dell and HP computers with no major problems. (USB DIO 24/37-- http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisit ... 24-37.aspx) We've taken over the management of a local non-com that also uses Simian, but with Lenovo tower computers. They carry the Metropolitan opera off a Comrex access--former station manager came in and ran the opera manually. The console is an R55E, which allows remote on/off for the faders.

Soooo...we were in studio installing two USB-DI/O 24 devices, one for the triggers off the Comrex relays, and one to drive a relay board to control the Opera channel . Instacal indicated the boards were communicating, we could hear the relays activating on that board. Go to install the boards in Simian--and Simian crashes. Eventually--after a long consultation with BSI, we had to re-install Simian and give up on automating the Met. BSI thinks the problem is with the Lenovo.

Any ideas? I suspect either a device driver conflict peculiar to the Lenovo--or a problem with the USB buss not able to support much more than a keyboard and mouse (the relay board driven by the I/O device is powered by a separate 5 volt supply).

Shane

Re: Interesting Simian problem

Post by Shane » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 am

Did they have you do a "clean" reinstall? Don't know if that's necessary with Simian but it was with Wavestation at least sometimes. They used to be nut-crazy about that detail years ago.

Could you test it with a non-Lenovo machine running Simian in demo mode?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Re: Interesting Simian problem

Post by TPT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 am

This machine was set up several years ago so were working with what was there. Also the only available Simian machine at this location.

Now the normal programming at this station is classical and jazz off the hard drive. In order to change settings under the hardware tab, Simian must be stopped. This should only take a few seconds to direct the "relay rack" to the outboard measurement computing USB I/O device. Using the "instacal" program we could see both devices and both tested ok--

What was weird was when we went into the hardware section and installed the USB DIO Simian immediately crashed...and could not be brought back. We could get a second session up, but that would not allow an "uninstall" of the USB device, and would not run in auto mode. They only had an air version, no production version, on this computer.

Eventually we just re-installed Simian with the help of the BSI service desk & gave up on trying to get the outboard devices in place.