STORQ Users--Downgrade coming

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
TPT

STORQ Users--Downgrade coming

Post by TPT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Information we've just received is that the current STORQ units will be replaced with a Wegener I-Pump (not the current 1RU model but a new 2RU model) which will be hybrid satellite and HTTP connected. The unit will control up to 8 formats using an internal 160 GB hard drive. Music compressed using MPEG-2, as compared with the present WAV music storage on the STORQ units. HTTP download of program segments in blocks, using AAC. Lots of work for that tiny hard drive.

Looks like a failure waiting to happen. We're already exploring other options, and getting away from WWOne.

ChuckG

Re: STORQ Users--Downgrade coming

Post by ChuckG » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I just put one of those new Ipumps in service to replace a failed 1RU Ipump. FWIW the capacitors are what failed in the old receiver, small enclosure with an undersized fan... not my favorite receiver.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Do they (the iPump—is that an awful name or what?) switch according to schedule (if being used that way)?

I have a 1RU unit that’s been back to the factory once but which I still can’t trust to switch to the correct channel or feed the right program by the web-based scheduler. This is on Salem, BTW. IDK if the scheduler is a Salem thing or a Wegener thing but it’s pretty awful, too, especially compared to the relatively more user-friendly XDS.

Any other observations?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Is the STORQ system being totally retired then? It had a pretty good run.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:38 am

Our understanding is that they have hardly any STORQ boxes left, and a number of ones out in the field are XP machines. We have two with Windows 7, one has problems, last we heard they were sending us the needed parts to fix it. Word is they do not have anyone with deep understanding of the inherited STORQ systems.

Op-X was supposed to be the replacement, but apparently they couldn't get it to work. This new I-pump receiver will receive program blocks from both the satellite and the internet, later feed an AAC stream, sent in blocks then recorded on the on-board HD (standard model is 160 GB?). Look at the I-Pump model 8640, a 2RU device

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Op-X would have been right up your alley since you are/were a BSI user. Makes sense that they might TRY to use an in-house product, as it were.

Also makes sense - if sense is the right word - that they have no one who knows the STORQ system well. They either canned them or ticked them off. Most of the knowledge of that system was here in Omaha, when Waitt Radio Networks was still operating here.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Shane wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 pm
Do they (the iPump—is that an awful name or what?) switch according to schedule (if being used that way)?

I have a 1RU unit that’s been back to the factory once but which I still can’t trust to switch to the correct channel or feed the right program by the web-based scheduler. This is on Salem, BTW. IDK if the scheduler is a Salem thing or a Wegener thing but it’s pretty awful, too, especially compared to the relatively more user-friendly XDS.

Any other observations?
Westwood uses a web based "show director" for the Ipumps, I bet salem is similar. You make your selections, get an "approval" back via email.
It feeds channel changes to the receiver in real time. We've missed them when the receiver was faded temporarily due to snow, etc. XDS is a much better box all around.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

I don’t get an approval. The interface we have is closer to the XDS than what you describe. It’s mainly a lot less convenient. Doesn’t convert to local time, for instance, requiring mental gymnastics for every stinking hour of every program.

Salem was early onto the iPump. That could be part of the problem.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 am

Due to get the full sales push this afternoon at 4, so we will see. About to go back to wiring a new studio--sitting on the floor, may need a crane to get back up on my feet. At 68 the legs complain after a few hours. But I digress.

Look at the back of the IPump 8640 here:

wegener.com/datasheets/DS_iPump8640_06January15.pdf

Notice that there are some USB connections, & of course, a network connection. But no provisions for a monitor. So you would need to connect to it via a browser in order to bring up the programing schedule. If you will be able to do it. We have our STORQ working in tandem with a Simian system, two monitors in the control room, two sets of keyboards & mice. If we are doing a remote & talent runs long...we can skip a song on the STORQ to get to the next stop set on time. Easy. Or we are doing a H.S. sports broadcast (and we do 3 games, sometimes 4 --a week on our three stations), it is easy to get in and out of the sports block. Click on STORQ,(stop after current event plays), Click on Simian (play pre-game show) off we go.

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Design like this new iPump was put there to annoy operator and engineer. Mother Wegener strikes again. A shame that WWOne could not get BSI OpX to work well together.

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm

They say they will three different configurations coming out. The simple one is based on the I-pump receiver, with music on the internal hard drive and program blocks loaded periodically. Interface through a web browser, but it allows one to see the upcoming log & make changes--deleting elements, adding elements, etc. However, if you have another network (example--we run classic rock, but carry the Steelers), then you need another system downstream to handle that net.

The next level still relies primarily on the receiver, but provides an app for an outboard computer that emulates some op-X features. This would also handle those other "outside" network programs. These two systems are in the field, but not for all formats yet.

The highest level system uses an actual OP-X computer with the satellite serving mainly as a source. Appears similar to our present set-up where we use the STORQ as a source, with our local spots and news content coming through Simian.

Note that they are still using the STORQ name, but the actual STORQ systems as now exist will be phased out.

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Very interesting...one of my client stations just commissioned a new WIN7 based Storq system last month...Not my favorite program delivery system, but they work. I was a little confused that they sent one, as another station in the group running the same format had moved off the Storq onto the iPump. I have a couple of stations that use Storq for local content as well as program delivery, and some that use Storq along side the normal local automation system.

Kevin

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 am

Apparently, if you get just the new I-pump you will still need a downstream automation system if you do other net programming. Don't forget that would include sports--like the Steelers net we carry.