What are people using out there?

I said local break...LOCAL BREAK!!
K9EZ
Site Admin

What are people using out there?

Post by K9EZ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:11 am

I would be interested in what people are using in TV land. Especially for the LPTV people.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 am

Current station has Odetics Airo 8.5 with Grass Valley profiles for storage. Last station had Odetics 8.5 with a HP Media Stream server but upgraded (or downgraded depending on who you talk to) to DTG XE (essentially Odetics 12) with a 360 Systems video server. The station we produce news for is using Sundance with I believe Pinnacle servers (I asked once).

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Our MC is using Louth Automation by Harris. I don't know the current build but it's a few years old but solid as a rock...

My local station is using Avid for news automation (ISIS servers, unity system, airspeed playback/ingest, etc.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:31 pm

NECRAT wrote:Our MC is using Louth Automation by Harris. I don't know the current build but it's a few years old but solid as a rock...

My local station is using Avid for news automation (ISIS servers, unity system, airspeed playback/ingest, etc.)
We are looking at Airspeed.

There is another program out there. I dont remember the name... mainly low $$$ for LPTV users.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:40 am

There is still another in expensive program that is geared towards LPTV. For the life of me cannot remember it. Anyone?
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Leightronix makes automation systems for public access and small tv stations.

My old public access had one of these things. They're crude but rock solid.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 pm

NECRAT wrote:My local station is using Avid for news automation (ISIS servers, unity system, airspeed playback/ingest, etc.)
Just news automation? Do you have Ignite or Overdrive for production, or an actual production staff? My station right now has a small production staff on newscasts (Director/TD/Tape Roller, Deko (CG)/Robotic Cameras & Audio) but there is talk of putting in Overdrive.

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

KC8RYW

Post by KC8RYW » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 pm

NECRAT wrote:Leightronix makes automation systems for public access and small tv stations.

My old public access had one of these things. They're crude but rock solid.
The L word.

I used a Leightronix Mini-T-Net back at the university cable station controlling a Grass Valley iVDR.

Kelly

Re: What are people using out there?

Post by Kelly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:30 am

For master control of 11 stations at one MC location, Sundance Titan with Omneon server. One ABC, four CBS, five Univision, and one Telefutura.

News automation at two stations is GVG Ignite!

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Kelly wrote:News automation at two stations is GVG Ignite!
I'm sorry.

-Adam
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 pm

rockmanac wrote:
I'm sorry.

-Adam
I used to say this too until I saw one which was properly configured, installed, and the personnell trained on it.
When done right, it works well, very well...

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:34 am

NECRAT wrote: I used to say this too until I saw one which was properly configured, installed, and the personnell trained on it.
I've never used it myself, but every director I've talked to who has worked on Ignite (and the old PVTV stuff) tells me it's horrible.

Btw... @Kelly... 1ABC, 4 CBS, 5 Univision, and 1 Telefutura... Are we talking about Fischer Broadcasting's operations up in Seattle? I've heard KOMO-TV has one hell of a view from their control room. (And that the Fischer building is the "exterior" of Seattle Grace Hospital)

-Adam
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:26 pm

NECRAT wrote:
rockmanac wrote:
I'm sorry.

-Adam
I used to say this too until I saw one which was properly configured, installed, and the personnell trained on it.
I'm working on an Ignite system right now. (OK, on Monday when I get home from vacation...) I don't have any serious problems with it from a technical standpoint. (it *is* an enormous amount of work!)

I think you need to add one qualifier to what NECRAT said: "the personnel must follow their training". When we first went tapeless we told the producers there are certain things you can and can't do - for one, if you want video, you have to drag it into your script. It took them a few days and a few VERY bad shows until they realized we meant it... If the producers don't pay attention, it'll go down the tubes. If they pay attention, it'll work fine.

It's going to be the same with Ignite.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:02 am

w9wi wrote:for one, if you want video, you have to drag it into your script.
I work at a station that's been tapeless since well before I got there, I think I've been told 10 years since they last rolled a tape. Of course, this is the station where NewsStar (now iNews) was developed at.

Producers here STILL don't get that you have to assign a vid-id to scripts to get video... and you can't use the same vid-id for 2 stories. Or if you want a transition/stinger/open, it needs to be put in as well.

Now... We've heard from the Ignite people, but is anyone on here working with Ross' OverDrive? That's what we've heard we're getting at some point.

-Adam
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:13 pm

rockmanac wrote:
NECRAT wrote: I used to say this too until I saw one which was properly configured, installed, and the personnell trained on it.
I've never used it myself, but every director I've talked to who has worked on Ignite (and the old PVTV stuff) tells me it's horrible.

Btw... @Kelly... 1ABC, 4 CBS, 5 Univision, and 1 Telefutura... Are we talking about Fischer Broadcasting's operations up in Seattle? I've heard KOMO-TV has one hell of a view from their control room. (And that the Fischer building is the "exterior" of Seattle Grace Hospital)

-Adam[/quote

Yes that is the Fisher Broadcasting operation on Seattle. And you are correct, Fisher Plaza is the building used as Grace Hospital for Grey's Anatomy. They used the helipad and the 5th floor for the Life Flight scenes.