Question...

I said local break...LOCAL BREAK!!
Drew

Question...

Post by Drew » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:40 am

Just because I have nothing better to do on a Sunday morning than to pester you TV guys... And because inquiring minds want to know..

I was trying to imagine how the TV automation works. Does all of the (Non satellite) programming come off of a hard drive system along with the commercials or does the automation control DVD or tape playback while inserting the commercials separately?

Back in the 80's I was part time MCO at a commercial station. Back then the thing was the 1/2 inch tape on cassette and Sony players. Part of my job back then, along with keeping Barnaby Jones reruns on the air, was to dub movies from the film chain to video tape. I'm sure television has made a couple of technological leaps since then.

rockmanac

Re: Question...

Post by rockmanac » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:26 am

Drew wrote:I was trying to imagine how the TV automation works. Does all of the (Non satellite) programming come off of a hard drive system along with the commercials or does the automation control DVD or tape playback while inserting the commercials separately?
Yes. Depending on the station. Some are totally hard drive based, others mix hard drive with tape (usually BetaSP or DVC-Pro/DVCAM for SD, D2 or XDCam for HD). There still might be a station or two in the tiny markets still running 3/4" in Master Control or who don't have a video server, but I doubt it.

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:55 pm

rockmanac wrote:There still might be a station or two in the tiny markets still running 3/4" in Master Control or who don't have a video server, but I doubt it.

-A
I'm going to say probably not to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if some station is using one of those Odetics or Betcart machines that use BetacamSP tapes.

In the smallest of markets, they could still be doing dub reels.

But Drew, the majority of TV stations now a days use hard drive based playback systems. The most common system is the Harris/Louth automation system, with others like Sundance and Florical not too far behind.

At my old master control they had 7.2 terrabytes of hard drive storage, with a mirrored MAN system. (Basically a mirrored MAN system is setup so that whatever goes into one side automatically gets duplicated to the other, for full redundancy).
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:14 am

NECRAT wrote:The most common system is the Harris/Louth automation system, with others like Sundance and Florical not too far behind.
Does VCI (fmrly. DTG, which was fmrly. Odetics) even have any market share outside of our station group & Weigel's Chicago & South Bend stations?

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 am

VCI Automation is big in Texas (KEYE has it), and I believe a couple others are starting to use it.

As far as the traffic side, they are the dominant provider of traffic services. They do many many big clients and small ones.

What is interesting, a little side note, VCI was started by my old station in Springfield, MA. And Lowell Putnam (The Putnam family fame, WWLP stands for William Lowell Putnam) is the CEO.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

NECRAT wrote:VCI Automation is big in Texas (KEYE has it), and I believe a couple others are starting to use it.
Interesting. I wonder if they had as many problems as we did in Rockford when it first went in. Let's just say quite a few times "DTG sucks, can we have [Odetics] 8.5 back?" was heard in Master Control. It eventually smoothed out by the time I left.
NECRAT wrote:As far as the traffic side, they are the dominant provider of traffic services. They do many many big clients and small ones.
Which system is do they put out? We use OSI, which for some reason, I think is from Harris.
NECRAT wrote:What is interesting, a little side note, VCI was started by my old station in Springfield, MA. And Lowell Putnam (The Putnam family fame, WWLP stands for William Lowell Putnam) is the CEO.
Cool.

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:03 pm

the majority of TV stations now a days use hard drive based playback systems
That's kinda what I thought. Now the next question is... In my radio automation, Once a put a song in, unless it's a real turkey, it tends to stay there and plays regularly. Once a program has run is it deleted?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Depends on the software and the programming. We used to use a 24 hour rule, a show gets deleted 24 hours after it airs. Commercials run on a 14 day rule, after 14 days, they get deleted off the server.