Video playout automation software

I said local break...LOCAL BREAK!!
wb9fhr

Video playout automation software

Post by wb9fhr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 am

Got a Mom & Pop LPTV that needs to get some programming on the air with a simple file play automation. Looking for something inexpensive, probably just software that can run on a Windows computer. Trying to keep this real simple and inexpensive. At this time it does not need to interface with a traffic system. They have got no spots and no traffic system. I would like to see it be able to interface in the future, but not necessary right now. Keep in mind I had to talk them out of simply feeding the transmitter with a DVD juke box and go something computer file based. No real sophistication here .

Any thoughts on such software?
Dave

w4cl

Re: Video playout automation software

Post by w4cl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:17 pm

wb9fhr wrote:Got a Mom & Pop LPTV that needs to get some programming on the air with a simple file play automation. Looking for something inexpensive, probably just software that can run on a Windows computer. Trying to keep this real simple and inexpensive. At this time it does not need to interface with a traffic system. They have got no spots and no traffic system. I would like to see it be able to interface in the future, but not necessary right now. Keep in mind I had to talk them out of simply feeding the transmitter with a DVD juke box and go something computer file based. No real sophistication here .

Any thoughts on such software?
Dave
Check out Media Shout. It is a church worship presentation software, but it has a time line that you can set up and run in order, runs on a good PC with a good video card. The software is $400 and if you buy a turnkey system from them, it is $1800. I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 am

Just looked at the web site. Interesting idea. Never thought of using worship software for this. I have been trying a program from EBR Audio. It is a player designed for radio but it does a pretty good job on video files. It's more broadcast style, play decks. Just stack the .mp2 or .mp4 files up and load them into a 24 deck player. I've used it at another LPTV as a simply clip player but never used the automation version. EBR support has been great and I have not even committed to the full product.

I will download the trial worship software. If nothing else to compare. I already got a few ideas just reading the Media Shout web page.
Thanks
Dave

onio

Post by onio » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 am

Magicsoft,jusoft,Unimedia i tested

dovecer

Post by dovecer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm

radiorob

Post by radiorob » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm

I had a client up in Inuvik NWT that upgraded to a CISCO DCM on a new fibred CATV system. They were quoted 25K for a "video server" licence to send out MPEG-TS.

They went with one of my open source installs and sponsored the development of an AdManager module, to start and stop ads, automatically remove from the media library at the end of ROS.

At the end, they got what they needed (4 managed Community access Channels) and saved over 20K

Before
1658170_258736427636521_204645052_o.jpg
After
1836827_258736510969846_1549586023_o.jpg
I'm curious to hear about other open source MAM systems running CATV systems

Rob

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm

I found this topic of interest as well. I manage an educational access cable channel and the powers-at-be are still using DVD players along with a proprietary controller made by Leightronics. The problem is the consumer compatible DVD players that are compatible with the system are long discontinued.

The district is still looking to purchase a media server to replace the system but they have yet to move on it. It makes my job much more complicated to take the digital HD recordings from the meeting room and downconvert them for standard def and then burn them to a DVD.

Arrgh!
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

bchris999

Post by bchris999 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:45 am

They went with one of my open source installs and sponsored the development of an AdManager module, to start and stop ads, automatically remove from the media library at the end of ROS.
Radiorob,

I am currently interested in hooking up some playout automation and am interested in looking at components and systems from the open source community. Can you give any details of the install you mentioned above?

Much appreciated!

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:56 am

Stationplaylist is a audio very affordable playout system, but will play back video files with a video card (note they don't support it, but several users do it) . You can use natural log for commercials.