FCC NAL for failure to have EAS unit working... for 6 years!

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: FCC NAL for failure to have EAS unit working... for 6 ye

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:09 am

I don't think a First Phone is what sets aside a competent guy from a non-competent one. I don't have one (I got into this racket after the requirement was lifted) and not only did my "full time" stations easily pass the AIP, but one of my contract stations did as well.

On the other hand, I've also seen some pretty poor work done by a First phone holder or two. So it's really more about how committed the licensee is about being compliant (and spend the $$$) and hiring the right person for the job.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:39 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote:I don't think a First Phone is what sets aside a competent guy from a non-competent one...
Agreed, and that wasn't really what I was trying to convey. I think that for many of us who had to go through the effort, the lesson was firmly driven home that standards exist, and that ignoring them can have serious consequences. There are certainly other ways to learn this truth, but driving several hundred miles to a field office to take a test that would determine whether I would remain employed really made a deep impression that dealing with the FCC is serious business.

-- Jeff

billcroghan

Post by billcroghan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:19 pm

I agree a first phone is not necessarily a totally knowledgeable person. I come from the era when there were hundreds of instant Firsts around who forgot everything after taking the test. At the same time I don't think a guy who has been repairing toasters and TV's is fully qualified without some additional training, they often fail to get. A GROL, an SBE certification, but not necessarily some of the consumer repair certs, or Union Certs, is a good indication that the person really cares about what they are getting into and has a chance of keeping the licensee out of trouble. I know several guys that started out in the Toaster repair business or similar who then studied, learned and advanced to some of todays best radio engineers. I have unfortunately seen others who aren't knowledgeable or competant to be taking care of a station beyond some basic electronics repair. Experience is a great teacher, but study helps you avoid some very costly and dangerous mistakes along the way.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 am

then again, maybe the owner was referring to the acutal usefulness of the EAS system :P

http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/adver ... ows-spots/

click on 'Weather'
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 am

Think 6 years of repeating violation is bad...how about 16 years and on-going STA approvals after filing resume of normal operations when the stations have not..basically committing perjury..which is a felony.

Mt. Rushmore Broadcasting...look em up.

RFBurns
When something gets in the way...either try to work with it, or go around it and solve the problem.