Sage Digital ENDEC and CAP

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
PID_Stop

Sage Digital ENDEC and CAP

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am

It's June, and the FCC deadline is bearing down on us, requiring that we be able to receive CAP format messages by the end of the month. I know Sage still hasn't released the firmware to make the Digital ENDEC fully capable yet, so two questions:

1) What are stations that have these brand new blue boxes doing in the meantime? Waiting for Sage, or taking some intermediate step?

2) If your state doesn't have its own CAP server, presumably your ENDEC should be looking at FEMA's server. Does anyone have the parameters for this? The ENDEC manual doesn't describe the significance of the different options in EndecSet's CAP setup page, and I'm a bit leery of setting something up that is apt to take down our stations or air false alerts. I'm not particularly trusting of FEMA to not send out weird tests or random stuff, particularly when they can't see the direct results of what they do.

Thanks for your collective wisdom!

-- Jeff

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Sage Digital ENDEC and CAP

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 pm

PID_Stop wrote: 2) If your state doesn't have its own CAP server, presumably your ENDEC should be looking at FEMA's server. Does anyone have the parameters for this? The ENDEC manual doesn't describe the significance of the different options in EndecSet's CAP setup page, and I'm a bit leery of setting something up that is apt to take down our stations or air false alerts. I'm not particularly trusting of FEMA to not send out weird tests or random stuff, particularly when they can't see the direct results of what they do.
Not sure if the SAGE does this same thing or not, but on our digital EAS (DASDEC) we have it pointed to the national server, and have the FIPS filters turned on for each of our counties, and the FIPS code for statewide, along with 000000 (USA).

We expect Rhode Island's CAP server to go online sometime in 2041. And to be configured correctly around 2055. (OK Joking on that one, but we don't expect much soon.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich

Post by grich » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:57 pm

PID_Stop wrote:It's June, and the FCC deadline is bearing down on us, requiring that we be able to receive CAP format messages by the end of the month. I know Sage still hasn't released the firmware to make the Digital ENDEC fully capable yet, so two questions:

1) What are stations that have these brand new blue boxes doing in the meantime? Waiting for Sage, or taking some intermediate step?

2) If your state doesn't have its own CAP server, presumably your ENDEC should be looking at FEMA's server. Does anyone have the parameters for this? The ENDEC manual doesn't describe the significance of the different options in EndecSet's CAP setup page, and I'm a bit leery of setting something up that is apt to take down our stations or air false alerts. I'm not particularly trusting of FEMA to not send out weird tests or random stuff, particularly when they can't see the direct results of what they do.

Thanks for your collective wisdom!

-- Jeff
The DASDEC website http://www.digitalalertsystems.com has a tutorial about setting up a DASDEC for receiving CAP. Within that are the settings for receiving FEMA IPAWS stuff. You should be able to cross-reference what you need to program the Sage. Check http://www.thebdr.net 's EAS section for other info.

The stations I contract for that have Sages are just waiting...figuring it's somewhat out of their control at this point.

Not meaning to derail, but...
NECRAT wrote:...on our digital EAS (DASDEC) we have it pointed to the national server, and have the FIPS filters turned on for each of our counties, and the FIPS code for statewide, along with 000000 (USA)....
Did you find you had to include the statewide FIPS code in your CAP table before the FEMA RWT's would process? Right now, I only have the local op area counties, and figured the statewide code would have wild-carded it's way through, like I seem to remember the old Sages doing. The FEMA RWT's are downloading onto my DASDEC, they just won't process. If I set the filters wide-open, the RWT's process. Nice to know I can get RWT's for American Samoa if I want to. :)

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks for the DASDEC link -- I'm reading one of their white papers now. I assume that what they call an "Atom Syndication Resource feed 1" equates to what EndecSet calls "Type 1", but I suppose we'll just have to find out.

I did get a chuckle from one passage, though, in the section discussing state CAP implementation: they refer to passive CAP systems "...emerging in California, Idaho, New York, and Washington", which "...appear based on 'security through obscurity.'" Well, it's certainly working: the system is obscure enough that I can't get the information necessary to get it set up.

:roll:

-- Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:26 pm

FWIW we're using the same server (https://apps.fema.gov) shown in the linked DASDEC document with our TFT equipment. We've been receiving & printing a weekly test from FEMA -- Monday afternoons? (probably misremembering exactly when)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 pm

grich wrote:
Did you find you had to include the statewide FIPS code in your CAP table before the FEMA RWT's would process? Right now, I only have the local op area counties, and figured the statewide code would have wild-carded it's way through, like I seem to remember the old Sages doing. The FEMA RWT's are downloading onto my DASDEC, they just won't process. If I set the filters wide-open, the RWT's process. Nice to know I can get RWT's for American Samoa if I want to. :)
At first no, and we were getting all those wild RWTs for American Samoa, Guam and such. Since then we found the filters and stopped getting them.
We just entered the counties and the statewide (044000) . We didn't even go with the oddballs "Northeast Rhode Island, Northwest Rhode Island". (Which are both, Providence county, FWIW). We stuck to the regular NIST FIPS codes.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich

Post by grich » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Adding the statewide code did the trick. Thanks!

June CAP deadline met...one more thing off the list. :D

plmdwlr

Post by plmdwlr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

Howdy all,

This just out from sage, going to implement and see what happens. Is looking like the info and updates needed. Just in the nick of time.

http://www.sagealertingsystems.com/rele ... notes_.pdf

Steve

KHCS, Palm Desert, CA

NE8E

Post by NE8E » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

NECRAT wrote:
PID_Stop wrote: We expect Rhode Island's CAP server to go online sometime in 2041. And to be configured correctly around 2055.
Oh god! I'm sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I about fell our of my chair when I read that! :lol: