STA's and Resume of Operations

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
RFBurns

Re: STA's and Resume of Operations

Post by RFBurns » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks for posting that. I was going to do that in an edit but had other pressing matters to attend to. :mrgreen:

JFEI-I have it on good authority...heh...that the owner is indeed attempting to redeem things and restore all of his stations.

There are a few things that will get in the way however, especially in the areas where the tower sites are on mountain tops reaching 6,000+ ASL, and those sites are completely blocked off when it snows. And the access roads can get so built up with snow that the state and counties will close those roads and you ain't getting anywhere near a tower site.

Out here, a majority of these tower sites have backup generator systems and even living quarters with provisions in case a poor engineer finds himself standing at the doorway about to exit and cannot because a sudden snow blitz rolled through and parked a nice fat mound of snow on the other side of that door, making it impossible to dig themselves out much less dig their vehicle out and attempt to leave driving through waist high and more fresh snow on the ground.

Wyoming state law requires these extreme remote located sites on these mountains to have these provisions, as well as emergency communication equipment. Some sites even have a return "TSL" of sorts so that the unfortunate engineer can communicate directly with the site's studios and inform them of the situation, even though we have cell phones and two way radio, those things are also subject to failure when the heavy snow fall and fog clogs up those Ghz bands and scatters those signals anywhere else besides your cell or repeater tower for your two way.

The new tower location and build won't happen until that winter season is well behind, which at the altitudes, snow can be dropping on top of those sites even in June.

On with the show.

RFBurns
When something gets in the way...either try to work with it, or go around it and solve the problem.

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:15 am

Well forget the previous post. The owner is the same dirt bag as he has always been. But no loss here, he has decided to go against the STA criteria and shut off the temporary facility. Next thing everyone will see in the KMLD data is a filing of Resume of Operations once again for a station that isn't on the air..from the licensed facility or temporary facility.

Another one for the licensed to rack up NAL's bucket.

What a pretzel eh!

Then again, hundreds of stations do this very thing. Fire up for a day or so, when there is no such authorization outlined for that at all (if so by all means show us that provision in the rules).

Could this end up being #8 felony perjury? Let's wait and see what gets filed!

RFBurns
When something gets in the way...either try to work with it, or go around it and solve the problem.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Did you count the apparent lie quoted in the posted letter that the station had been off the air since October 27, 2011, when you yourself said it was August 2011? Or is that #9?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:34 am

Shane wrote:Did you count the apparent lie quoted in the posted letter that the station had been off the air since October 27, 2011, when you yourself said it was August 2011? Or is that #9?
For sure. It very well could be #9, however 8 would be based on a Resume of Operations filed in July of this year for KMLD and all the other left over scraps for stations in the other cities, when in fact at that time of that filing, the station was off the air since August 17, 2011 because the transmitter, or should I say exciter, wasn't even working in October 2011.

Engineers who get hired to go look usually are the ones to ask first about what's what.

It's quite impossible to resume operations per license requirements and specifications when the transmitter that makes the power to meet licensed ERP is nothing more than a pile of junk since 2009. Along with a non-working exciter noted to ownership prior to October 27 2011.

In 2009, the amplifier cabinet, more commonly known as the "transmitter", suffered a catastrophic power transformer breakdown, totally destroying itself, and carbonizing the wiring everywhere in and beneath the PA cubicle, and to the right the control wiring. Was a great transmitter..when it wanted to be. A Harris FM-20K driven by a Harris MX-15 exciter.

Since 2009 the amplifier cabinet has been sitting there in pieces, while the exciter was pushing the antenna at a whopping 20 watts. The station ran in that state until August 17, 2011, when the inspecting agent suggested shutting it off until the proper STA's could be filed.

STA's for operating at 20 watts were never filed, the station remained off the air until October 16, 2012 under the latest STA to operate from another location.

It's one huge fuzzball of a mess. And from my understanding and working with temporary facilities under STA's, the intent of those STA's is to provide a means for the station to remain on air with the least amount of loss, both financially and listening audience.

Besides that, 73.1750 requires 2 day heads up to file cease of operations, which in this case is operation under STA. I guess a cancellation of STA was filed the night before the STA was granted on Oct 16 when it was granted. The shut off of the temporary facility took place at Midnight Thursday Oct 18. That would put the required 2 day filing on Monday Oct 15.

But this case and the company are the most backwards ran outfit I have ever encountered. But nonetheless, I am an engineer and I call out things that are wrong especially when I am directly involved. Since that temporary facility was, and is still here at my coordinates, I am responsible so I have contacted the necessary people within the Enforcement Bureau both in Denver and DC and informed them it was not my decision to shut it off, but was ordered to do so by the licensee.

Anyone can look up all the data and see the pattern of "on-off" and "now you hear it, now you don't" practices by this company.

But the good side to all of it is that I got my pay upfront...because I already knew what the result would be..same ol thing over again..temporary facility or actual licensed facility doesn't matter, it will go on for a day or so, then off and float on silent STA for the next two cycles of 180 days and repeat again and again and again.

Out of 13 stations total, only TWO are barely operational. The rest get the "on-off" cycling of floating STA's like floating checks over a weekend.

So much for increasing sales by shutting off an authorized facility. Make any sense to any of you out here?

Better to float cycle STA's and filing resume of operations than to be actually on the air doing what that license intended for I guess. The lack of defined requirements for operating under STA is how these stations get away with this 24 hour non-existent rule. Applying one single case out of Texas back in 2003 applies to all stations I guess, even though it is not written in black and white in the code.

Oh well, there goes those holiday sales!! :lol:

RFBurns

R. Fry

Post by R. Fry » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

RFBurns wrote:Well forget the previous post. The owner is the same dirt bag as he has always been. But no loss here, he has decided to go against the STA criteria and shut off the temporary facility. Next thing everyone will see in the KMLD data is a filing of Resume of Operations once again for a station that isn't on the air..from the licensed facility or temporary facility. Since that temporary facility was, and is still here at my coordinates, I am responsible so I have contacted the necessary people within the Enforcement Bureau both in Denver and DC and informed them it was not my decision to shut it off, but was ordered to do so by the licensee.
From another board where "RFBurns" (known there as RFB) apparently posted claims on this subject is my response there to such claims, pasted below. I post there as "Rich."

Could the stated decision of the licensee to suspend operations under the STA be related to the statement by RFB/RFBurns that the linearly-polarized transmit antenna he ordered for use under that STA would not permit meeting the terms of the STA -- which required equal ERP both in v-pol and h-pol, and thus also would need about twice the power output from the transmitter for a given c-pol transmit antenna?

Coverage Estimate for KMLD (STA)
Submitted by Rich on October 18, 2012 - 06:44.

Below are links showing the input data and the resulting field strength zones, using the information shown in the STA application posted by RFB.

RE: I ordered a new 5/8 GP antenna to replace the old one that I was going to use but it has a matching problem.

Hopefully this comment will not be pounced upon as negative, but the STA application showed 15 watts ERP both in vertical and horizontal polarization, while a GP (Ground Plane) antenna as installed normally is vertically polarized, only.

If the station is to transmit 15 watts both in vertical and horizontal polarization, then for a c-pol transmit antenna the transmitter output power will need to be a bit more than twice what is needed for linear polarization.

The coverage plot linked below shows the result for 15 watts ERP using vertical polarization.

The coverage plot accounts for the effects of terrain elevations in that area (30" database), but not for buildings or other made-made structures.

This information is supplied gratis, for use at your own risk.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/r ... D_Data.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/r ... vg_Est.jpg

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm

I want to caution against "hearsay" and other accusations on this forum about other owners/contractors, etc. While I don't want to honk the moderator horn again, I need to remind people that this is a public forum and anything discussed on it, is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or other posters. With that said, let's keep us from being sued here.

Thanks.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 pm

R. Fry wrote: From another board ......

Could the stated decision of the licensee to suspend operations under the STA be related to the statement by RFB/RFBurns that the linearly-polarized transmit antenna he ordered for use under that STA would not permit meeting the terms of the STA -- which required equal ERP both in v-pol and h-pol, and thus also would need about twice the power output from the transmitter for a given c-pol transmit antenna?
You know Rich, if you had done your research well enough, you would figure out that it wasn't what you are implying here, and taking from one place over into another, which I fully agree with NECRAT's position. Unless you have absolute evidence to your accusation and reason for carrying this over across different forum venues, that to me would be a TOS violation IMO.

Go research it please.

Thanks.

Let me also add here, when this STA was shoved through, there was no time to buy one or find a C-POL antenna when the STA was granted. Thus what was on hand/supplied was used. I think it's called an "Emergency Antenna", or something like that.

:roll: :roll:

RFBurns

R. Fry

Post by R. Fry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 am

RFBurns is the one who carried this topic across different forum venues, posting first about it here (October 8th), then later with the opening post of a thread on a second board (Oct 16th).

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:28 am

R. Fry wrote:RFBurns is the one who carried this topic across different forum venues, posting first about it here (October 8th), then later with the opening post of a thread on a second board (Oct 16th).

ADMINS: Rather than allow this highly misdirected lonely soul to continue to make a bleeping fool of himself, I request the thread be locked as I have made the final entry into the STA and Resume of Operations topic.

What was logged here, and elsewhere, is documentation of one example of "FLOATING" stations and licenses..even STA's.

Rich...the temp facility went off the air on Oct 18th, less than 36 hours before it began.

Give it a rest. If that big of a deal...www.fcc.gov/complaints or 1-900-WAHH.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Out.

RFBurns

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 am

RF Burns: We have very few rules here. You've broken one that is very important to me. You can argue, you can even get a bit snarky, but I won't tolerate behavior like you're showing here. Period.

Enjoy your vacation from the Virtual Engineer.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum