Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
Post Reply
w9wi
Posts: 807
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by w9wi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 pm

From the Broadcast Actions Public Notice, 28 March 2013:

TV TRANSLATOR OR LPTV STATION APPLICATIONS FOR RENEWAL GRANTED
--------------------------------------------------------------

MN BRTTL-20051201ASO DK70DR 35680 KTTC TELEVISION, INC. Renewal of License.
E CHAN-70 BLUE EARTH, MN
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

User avatar
Deep Thought
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 am
Location: La Grange, IL
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 am

No match on ARN, and that translator has been gone for years. Zombie application walks like zombie... :mrgreen:

There's so many people banging on CDBS right now with the FM translator nonsense that I'm surprised it's working at all. Entering a AM 301 right now takes about an hour with all the page load delays and timeouts.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by Baylink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

And channel 70 doesn't exist anymore either, does it?

User avatar
rockmanac
Moderator
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by rockmanac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 am

w9wi wrote:From the Broadcast Actions Public Notice, 28 March 2013:

TV TRANSLATOR OR LPTV STATION APPLICATIONS FOR RENEWAL GRANTED
--------------------------------------------------------------

MN BRTTL-20051201ASO DK70DR 35680 KTTC TELEVISION, INC. Renewal of License.
E CHAN-70 BLUE EARTH, MN
That's hilarious. I wonder if Qunicy even knows they renewed it. Or what channel it's supposed to be on now.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

User avatar
Deep Thought
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 am
Location: La Grange, IL
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 am

Their displacement permit put them on channel 16 but that too was cancelled awhile back. This is what happens when computers talk to other computers...the application referenced doesn't exist and I am fairly sure someone was purging dead records and hit the wrong key.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

User avatar
rockmanac
Moderator
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by rockmanac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Their displacement permit put them on channel 16 but that too was cancelled awhile back. This is what happens when computers talk to other computers...the application referenced doesn't exist and I am fairly sure someone was purging dead records and hit the wrong key.
True.

I just looked up Blue Earth, MN. Was this serving Mankato?! I know they only have a CBS / Fox affiliate there, but I thought they got all of the Twin Cities, not Rochester, stations via cable.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

User avatar
rockmanac
Moderator
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am
Location: St. Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by rockmanac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm

rockmanac wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Their displacement permit put them on channel 16 but that too was cancelled awhile back. This is what happens when computers talk to other computers...the application referenced doesn't exist and I am fairly sure someone was purging dead records and hit the wrong key.
True.

I just looked up Blue Earth, MN. Was this serving Mankato?! I know they only have a CBS / Fox affiliate there, but I thought they got all of the Twin Cities, not Rochester, stations via cable. Never mind. I just realized Mankato is Blue Earth COUNTY. Blue Earth, MN is in Fairbault County, south of Mankato. Doubtful a translator would be able to hit Mankato from there.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

w9wi
Posts: 807
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Uh, I thought this went away 43 years ago.....

Post by w9wi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

There exists somewhere on the FCC website a scanned letter from KTTC's lawyers in which they say the thing went off the air at the end of 2011, (along with one on channel 62 at Winona) and they asked the Commission to cancel the licenses. CDBS says the Commission did so on Jan. 5, 2012.

I do find it fascinating that apparently, it *was* still operating on channel 70 as late as the end of 2011. Unless they were actually running the channel 16 DTV permit under Program Test Authority.

There also once existed (I can no longer find it) a DTV conversion blog for KTTC which clearly states that on Transition Day in 2009, their engineer switched the input to "Channel 70 in Blue Earth" from an analog receiver to a digital receiver.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest