Moving main studio

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
smalltownbroadcaster

Moving main studio

Post by smalltownbroadcaster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 am

Hello there, first time poster - long time lurker!

Own a small commercial FM out West; and recently have taking over all duties...

We are looking at moving our Studio across town, but still within community of license. Can anyone let me know if this is a simple 'Minor Modification' (form 301)...or something more, or something less? I realize there are likely not Attorneys on this board, but this seems like a somewhat simple thing; just need to know the rules for sure and I am having a hard time searching the commission.

Thanks, and learning lots of good things here!

grich

Re: Moving main studio

Post by grich » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:24 am

Everything you need to know is in 73.1125...http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2015/73/1125/

Well, maybe not EVERYTHING, but... :D

Check out paragraph (d) of that Rule.

smalltownbroadcaster

Post by smalltownbroadcaster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks Grich! I read through that last night; but I wasnt sure what 'notification to the FCC in Washington shall be made promptly' means exactly? Just a letter, email, telegraph, etc? :roll:

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Main studio change within the community of license is just a letter submission (in triplicate of course :mrgreen: ). Be sure you also change the station's official mailing address if it is the old studio location. Do that in CDBS "non-form filings" under "Change in Official Mailing Address for Broadcast Station".
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 pm

However.....

If you use a licensed STL (i.e.--950 mhz system--"STL" is used loosely nowadays to include unlicensed 5 GHZ systems down to systems using the internet) to feed your programing to the transmitter; .....you will need to go through the prior coordination process to notify everyone on you co-channel and adjacent channels that your STL path is changing. Then file for a new license for your STL. Since "everyone" means a boatload of of folks out quite a number of miles, you will need to use one of the frequency coordinators.

I use Terrestrial RF in Tulsa--their services/prices/etc are on the web site