EIGHT stations to share time.....

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
w9wi

EIGHT stations to share time.....

Post by w9wi » Thu May 05, 2016 8:46 pm

The FCC has approved a plan for EIGHT LPFM stations to share 101.5 in the greater Los Angeles area....

On weekdays, the Boyle Heights Arts Conservatory will broadcast from midnight to 2am. It will then hand over to the Prism Church of Los Angeles (in Pasadena) which will operate until 5am. Next, the National Hispanic Media Coalition (also of Pasadena) will operate until 9am. Then, Edgewood High School of West Covina gets two hours, until 11:00. From 11 until 3pm, Catalyst Long Beach gets a turn. Then, from 3 to 6 it's The Emperor's Circle of Shen Yun in El Monte. Next, the LA Academy of Arts & Enterprise gets three hours, before handing it back to the Boyle Heights Arts Conservatory.

On Saturdays four of the eight operators get time slots, with the LA Academy and the Ballet Folklorico Ollin (Panorama City) each getting two slots. Same thing on Sunday, except Ballet Folklorico gets three different slots.

I hope they all use RDS as the PS is probably the only way to know for sure who you're listening to:)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

kcbooboo

Re: EIGHT stations to share time.....

Post by kcbooboo » Fri May 06, 2016 4:46 am

I wonder if there will be eight transmitting facilities (one for each entity) or if they will have just one setup with a way to switch the audio feed?

Out here in the NYC area, you just KNOW the entities would not get along so each would have their own equipment.

Bob M.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri May 06, 2016 7:14 am

Will one of the stations employ the Friday Night Football Rule?
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri May 06, 2016 2:06 pm

$10 says more than half of them will drop out within a year.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Our FCC: 1920s thinking for the 2020s! I predict somebody won't play nice.

I also predict they will all talk very fast!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri May 06, 2016 2:27 pm

21st century solution:

"Hi-this is K???-LP--and we're only on for 5 hours today. But you can listen to the rest of our programming on our live stream at K???.Com!

(Remember that broadcast stations simulcast on streaming pay different rates than stream-only casts. Yes-they're not on all the time but...)

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri May 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Ah, the Pandora solution X8!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 pm

KC: yes, there are eight different facilities.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Then the possibilities for monkey business are endless! :oops:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 pm

In a semi-related development... the Commission has granted another LPFM time-sharing arrangement in the greater L.A. area.

This one involves only two stations, sharing 99.1.

One of which will broadcast between midnight and 2am, Monday-Friday. The other one gets the other 158 hours a week.

At least in this case, both stations will share the same transmitter...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 am

Talk about being thrown a few molecules of a bone! 2 hours a day, weekdays only, and "prime time" too? I suppose it's cheaper than trying to buy those 2 hours from another station, and isn't that the reason broadcasters are on the air? Something tells me this arrangement won't last long.

Bob M.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 11, 2016 12:38 pm

12-2 AM...probably meant to keep the license alive while waiting for something else to open up.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue May 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Shane wrote:Then the possibilities for monkey business are endless! :oops:
I can see this not going well unless the parties to the time share all get along. Otherwise, if there are shared sites there will be arguments about who is responsible for the equipment maintenance. Eventually some switcher or the "lamptimer" (if not a shared site) will malfunction and someone will step on someone else's time slot and then the finger pointing starts.

I know there is a time share in a market near me where they were using a shared site and the parties don't seem to get along well. So much so that one filed for a new license on a different freq to get out of the share, but instead of releasing back their share upon lighting up the new CP they transferred it to someone else out of spite. :twisted: I'm sure it doesn't help that both parties were activist type outfits that are professionals about getting their knickers in a twist over everything.

Locally to me there was an LP that was in a court-ordered time share for a while due to a dispute about who controlled the licensee. The issue was kicked up to the FCC but since it was a business matter they deferred to the local courts to sort it out. For a while both parties were running transmitters located on opposite sides of the road from each other which made for an interesting mishmash depending on which signal captured the receiver.