sky hook anyone?

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
TPT

sky hook anyone?

Post by TPT » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Local class A moved off the (rented) tower they've been on since the 80's.. Tower was registered, even though not lighted (150' with pole on top). Tower registration now shows "dismantled." Only--there's an LPFM on the same tower--still on the air. No record of being moved--and signal is the same as it always has been.

Best guess is that --being no mechanism to "de-register" a tower, the tower owner just changed status to dismantled. Heard tower owner was donating tower to the LPFM, so that would make sense.

Deep Thought

Re: sky hook anyone?

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Does the LPFM license show the ASRN? Not sure why the owner filed for 'dismantled' status...was the tower sold?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Yes it does. Even more interesting, if you click on the link to the antenna registration from the CDBS listing for the LPFM--you get an error message.

And the listing with the Antenna registration number (in FM query) shows zero for tower height, coordinates, etc. Using the ARN search function at the wireless bureau page gives you the informational that the tower is dismantled.

The preacher in a church newsletter a while back said they were going to get the tower as a donation. Tower owner probably doesn't pay to take it down, they weren't getting any rent from the LPFM--and they probably didn't want to continue to pay rent to the landowner for the tower.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Does LPFM require ASRN? Never filed one...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Depends on the tower they're on. If it fails glide slope clearance (TOWAIR) or the FAA's No Notice Required tool, it needs to be registered even if it is a shortie and has been there for 25 years and nobody ever bothered. Went through that on an 80 footer near Lambert in St. Louis. The FAA didn't care but the FCC did. :roll:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:49 am

Same problem here. One of my sites is at 1000 feet AMSL ground level--and 3 1/2 miles from the airport. The main runway at the airport is at 840 feet.
FAA had no problem with a 190 foot tower at my site--since there are another three towers within a 1/4 mile. They don't send the airplanes that way.
FCC, however, required the proposed antenna be registered because it failed TOWAIR. Heck--I could stand on the roof of the transmitter building with my cellphone & fail TOWAIR.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 am

I used my last sky hook, but I think I still have about 15 feet of flight line you can have. It's wrapped around that bucket of prop wash is the back of the shed.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 am

TPT wrote:Same problem here. One of my sites is at 1000 feet AMSL ground level--and 3 1/2 miles from the airport. The main runway at the airport is at 840 feet.
FAA had no problem with a 190 foot tower at my site--since there are another three towers within a 1/4 mile. They don't send the airplanes that way.
FCC, however, required the proposed antenna be registered because it failed TOWAIR. Heck--I could stand on the roof of the transmitter building with my cellphone & fail TOWAIR.
I had to register a 75 foot tower behind a studio building. The church steeple across the street is roughly the same height. We could sit the antenna on the ground and still be above the 30m reference HAAT for LPFM. I think the studio building itself fails TOWAIR... :?