FCC adds three new EAS codes

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
NECRAT
Site Admin

FCC adds three new EAS codes

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm

All WX related.

Extreme Wind Warming, Storm Surge Watch, and Storm Surge Warning.

The second two are good for our area.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Release ... 0243A1.pdf
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Re: FCC adds three new EAS codes

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Are these what Sage was waiting on before releasing their update? The silence on the issue had become deafening.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:01 am

Shane wrote:Are these what Sage was waiting on before releasing their update? The silence on the issue had become deafening.
Excellent question. Our corporate people are pressing to get every station in compliance; the ones with DASDECs are all done, yet the folks at Sage don't even reply to emails asking when they expect to release the update. We've used ENDECs since EAS began, but between the cost and the support, it's unlikely that I will be buying another one.

-- Jeff

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Got something of an answer second-hand today
Re: [nebraskaeas] SAGE updates

I emailed with them two days ago about this.

They plan to have it ready in the next few days.
Here is what they had to say.

"The deadline is July 30th for compliance with the new rules that include the all-zeroes national location code. We'll release that firmware here in the next several days. The update is mandatory for all users and free-of-charge. If you'd like, I can add your email address to our firmware update notification list."

Dave
----------------------------------------
Dave Kline UNO-TV/Mav Radio/KVNO
University of Nebraska at Omaha
we have had good support from Sage and have been pretty happy with their products. We've heard some pretty bad things happen with some of the other brands. My nitpick is the unbalanced audio inputs for monitoring and general crappy sound of relayed material. Yeah I get that it's readable (most times) and gets the job done but since when did we give up on "broadcast quality" audio?

Their web interface is pretty neat. It allowed me to discover that one of my monitoring assignments was humming like it forgot the words. The hum level was about 2dB below audio peaks. Ouch. I suspect PS caps but they don't appear to have had any outward pressure. Rolls tuner.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:58 am

When it's out please post as a separate message on this board. I deal with twelve Sage boxes through various entities.

oldzink

Post by oldzink » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm

DASDEC v3.0 upgrade $495.
Is the upgrade necessary to be in compliance for next month's test?

grich

Post by grich » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:00 pm

oldzink wrote:DASDEC v3.0 upgrade $495.
Corporate made us upgrade, so the answer might just be yes.

PID_Stop

Sage's July 21st update

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 am

Sage updated their website last night with this:
Regarding the FCC's 6th Report and Order on EAS, with a July 30, 2016 implementation deadline.

Our software update is in final testing. It includes:

• Support for the national location (000000) code and priority treatment for NPT
• An "autofilter" feature that will properly handle EAN and NPT events, even if you don't have a filter installed. This feature is on by default and highly recommended, the effect is that you will not need to update your settings file.
• A verify button on the ENDEC's tools page that will let you know which filter will match a national NPT, and if your ENDEC will be compliant.
• The new NWS event codes.
• New intermediate certificates for IPAWS alert signatures.
• If you have sent a message to support with "add" as the subject, you will receive an email when the update is available.
They are certainly cutting things pretty close.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:43 pm

grich wrote:
oldzink wrote:DASDEC v3.0 upgrade $495.
Corporate made us upgrade, so the answer might just be yes.
I have been trying to figure that out myself. I have a unit on v2.6 and have set a filter to forward NPT and FIPS 000000, so I don't see why it wouldn't work as-is. This is a LPFM station so there isn't $500 just laying around in the couch cushions...
As for the new NWS codes, only the wind warning may ever be seen this far inland, and if I know the 3 digit identifiers for them I think there is a provision to add them manually.

PID_Stop

Sage ENDEC firmware update available

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:21 pm

The new firmware showed up on Sage's website last night, and I've updated five ENDECs today. No problems at all, but you do need to download and install the new version of ENDECSetD software first. So far, so good... but I do wish that we hadn't gotten quite so close to the deadline.

-- Jeff

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a revision to the revision, in a month or so, to address some bugs. They did meet the deadline though; no one said it all had to work properly though.

Bob M.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:57 am

kcbooboo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a revision to the revision, in a month or so, to address some bugs. They did meet the deadline though; no one said it all had to work properly though.
True, though several of our units have successfully received and sent required weekly tests since the update. I'd say that if there's a bug, it's subtle.

-- Jeff

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 pm

We had a bad time trying to get the new weather codes in and don't know what we did to make it work! We're in our 60's; what's it going to be like when we're 70?

(Quiet, Bob.) :)
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:20 am

So am I, Shane. Went right in for me. Why I bought a Sage in the first place--the DASDEC we tried first took us three hours just to get it talking to the network ( and "we" included my IT guy). I figured out the Sage myself.

RGORJANCE

Re: (Quiet, Bob.) :)

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:54 am

I have had this philosophical outlook on things since getting into ham radio in 1952, and into bcstg in '56.

"I will take luck over skill any day of the week"! Age is "the big equalizer", it trumps everything. Too soon old, too late smart.

Fossil
(aka Bob)

PS I'm pretty lucky on this latest EAS boondoggle, the group chiefs are doing the nasty work. All I got to do is sit back, slurp coffee and eat kringle. :lol: