translator window

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
TPT

translator window

Post by TPT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

So you are in a small market with just a few stations...and you thought, why pay big $$$ to buy a translator when I can wait until next year and just apply for one?

FCC got you. The next translator window is only a week--July 26th to the 2nd of August. It is first come/first served, but if you are MX with another applicant, you have only limited options--move up or down three channels or go to the IF beat frequency. You can't just find another spot on the dial. They'll give you a settlement window to figure this out, or the two of you go to auction. You can't get together with other AM station owners--that's "collusion." If you loose out in this window, you can't file again in the second window for high-powered full-time stations.

Read the article at BroadcastLawBlog.com; the announcement is in today's daily digest.

If you are looking for a translator for your AM, probably will need to hire the DC lawyer for this mess. The swamp critters have spoken.

Lee_Wheeler

Re: translator window

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hopefully for the applicants the limitations that the window is only open to Class C and Class D stations that don't already have a translator will limit the noise. I will be choosing channels where I do have an escape if necessary.

The clients that I have that will be participating are, for the most part, the only stations in the area that don't have a translator already and they aren't in huge market areas. What will suck is if they wind up going to auction and paying more than they would have to buy a CP in the last window.

...Lee

Deep Thought

Re: translator window

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:29 pm

This is a true auction window (#99), and all applications filed during those seven days will be considered filed simultaneously.

As mentioned, only minor changes will be acceptable for MX resolution.

The translator is permanently married to the AM. Only the AM licensee/permittee can file (no side agreements or leases).

You also have to file a form 175.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com