Aspect Ratio and civilians

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Baylink

Aspect Ratio and civilians

Post by Baylink » Sun May 08, 2011 11:22 am

Has *anyone* come up with a good answer for "why should I run my nice, widescreen TV in that stupid looking narrow mode, *just* because the picture I'm watching isn't 16:9"?

My best answer that isn't "cause I know you're not an idiot" amounts to "because I spend long hours making that picture, and I want you to be seeing it correctly"... and I'm sort of tired of finding out that people don't care about that.

Deep Thought

Re: Aspect Ratio and civilians

Post by Deep Thought » Sun May 08, 2011 12:18 pm

You're surprised? When HDTVs first came on the market and 16x9 programming was rare you'd routinely see them set to "fatso mode", or even worse...some TVs have a mode which leaves the center 40% or so of the picture at normal size and then stretches the sides at various rates to fill the screen. Watching that makes me dizzy... :shock: Comcast got caught setting people's TVs to "wide o vision" while feeding them from composite video outputs on the cable box and telling them it was HDTV. Few cared.

Many people think that an iPod is "high fidelity".

Mencken was right...

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Sun May 08, 2011 12:22 pm

I refer to it as "fathead" mode, myself. :-)

And for what it's worth, I *like* Mitsubishi's "stretch" mode. It's only about 15% of each edge that stretches, non-linearly, and I didn't find it to be that bad. It *certainly* sucks less than "everything is too wide".

I take it, then, that you don't have canned "persuasive speech"? :-)

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sun May 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Baylink wrote:Has *anyone* come up with a good answer for "why should I run my nice, widescreen TV in that stupid looking narrow mode, *just* because the picture I'm watching isn't 16:9"?

My best answer that isn't "cause I know you're not an idiot" amounts to "because I spend long hours making that picture, and I want you to be seeing it correctly"... and I'm sort of tired of finding out that people don't care about that.
If by "stupid looking narrow mode", you mean "Pillarbox mode", then there are the reasons of picture distortion. Some people (like me) get annoyed by the distortion seen when running in "wide" mode. (And dislike how many times Ive been to hotels with flat-screens, only to see them run in that mode and unable to switch back to Pillarbox)

A reason to run it in wide-screen mode, if you have a Plasma screen (or even LCD for that matter), and you watch a LOT of pillar box programming, the pillars burn into the set.

There is another mode called "Zoom" mode, where the picture is digitally zoomed in, to cut off the sides , top and bottom, but fill the screen.

I've also seen "14x9" stretch, where it doesn't fully go 16:9 but stretches it enough to make the screen look wider.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 am

I apologize; I wasn't clear enough, I guess.

*How do I explain to civilians why they should do that, when I'm reading them off for putting my nice pretty SD pictures on the screen stretched all out of shape?*

:-)

KE0MI

Post by KE0MI » Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 am

If they are buying more widescreen sets than 1.33:1 sets, I would start thinking I need to give them what they want. (If not, they'll go elsewhere.)

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 am

My network will likely never go 16:9, much less HD; we pay for our airtime, and we're pretty close to the edge at 3.15Msps. So "switch to widescreen" isn't an answer for us -- but my question was much broader than that, as my network was merely an example; I'm looking for a *generic* response that's much more polite than "how can you stand to be that stupid, and watch an ugly, stretched out picture, when you could see it the way it's supposed to look?"

There's *lots* of SD television out there that isn't me. :-)

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 am

Why do you care? Are viewers complaining? If you can't afford to keep up with the industry then it is rather odd to blame that on your viewers, who can receive true 16x9 widescreen in HD for free OTA and would rather not be limited by your decisions even if it makes your programming look a bit odd.

We have several dot channels here in Chicago running 4x3 but they are things like MeTV, MeToo, AntennaTV, etc. which run old programs shot in 4x3. Nobody seems to be complaining about it and in fact it is popular enough that Weigel is expanding its footprint.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon May 09, 2011 11:18 am

Ok.

One more time.

Yes, my network is SD.

*BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT NOW*.

I am *professionally* offended by people who watch *anyone's* SD programming -- and there is still A Whole Lot of it -- stretched out to 16:9. It's stupid. It's self-flagellant. And its so easy to avoid.

Perhaps I really just need professional help. But I really think it's them, not me.

So, please, enough with the red herring.

(That said, if you want to pay the per-hour airtime differentials for all of my outlets from 3Msps to 19, we'll take the check. :-)

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon May 09, 2011 11:41 am

My last post on this:

If you truly are a professional, you do the best you can with what you have to work with, turn the product (or results of the service) over to the client (or customer) and move on to the next challenge. You do not dictate how the customer uses it, and you certainly do not lecture them about said use. In my case that would be akin to setting a station up with the best coverage in the market and then lecturing the owner about the format.

Your responsibility (and input) ends at the uplink. Let it go.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 am

You're still assuming I'm more concerned about my own programming, rather than the enjoyment of my (in this case) friends of the programs they're watching from all sources...

but ok.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon May 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Just remember the old saying

"You can't please everyone"... and leave it at that....

Let people do their own thing and let it go.

Seriously, take a breather, there are much bigger things in life to worry about.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Happily, at the moment, I don't have all that many bigger things to worry about. :-)

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am

Our Syracuse station has been transmitting HD for years, ramping up from originally just passing ABC to more recently originating local news in HD. I still get calls from viewers who tell us our picture stinks, and in every case the conversation goes something like this:

Me: "What channel is your set tuned to?"
Caller: "9, of course!"
Me: "Try switching to channel 889..."
Caller: "What's that?"
Me: "889 is our high definition channel on Time Warner."
Caller: "How do I get it?"
Me: "Just press 8 - 8 - 9 on your remote control."
Caller: "Wow! That looks much sharper!"
Me: "Glad to help."
Caller: "So when are you going to fix channel 9?"
Me: "Well, it's not something to fix... Time Warner still sends an analog signal on 9 for people with old TV sets. With your new set, you would want to be watching us on 889."
Caller: "That's too much trouble. I'll stick with 9 until you fix it."

One of these days I'll get around to putting foam rubber on my office walls so it won't hurt so much when I bang my head...

-- Jeff

techboywi

Post by techboywi » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 pm

PID_Stop wrote:Our Syracuse station has been transmitting HD for years, ramping up from originally just passing ABC to more recently originating local news in HD. I still get calls from viewers who tell us our picture stinks, and in every case the conversation goes something like this:

Me: "What channel is your set tuned to?"
Caller: "9, of course!"
Me: "Try switching to channel 889..."
Caller: "What's that?"
Me: "889 is our high definition channel on Time Warner."
Caller: "How do I get it?"
Me: "Just press 8 - 8 - 9 on your remote control."
Caller: "Wow! That looks much sharper!"
Me: "Glad to help."
Caller: "So when are you going to fix channel 9?"
Me: "Well, it's not something to fix... Time Warner still sends an analog signal on 9 for people with old TV sets. With your new set, you would want to be watching us on 889."
Caller: "That's too much trouble. I'll stick with 9 until you fix it."

One of these days I'll get around to putting foam rubber on my office walls so it won't hurt so much when I bang my head...

-- Jeff

This just proves the adage "The customer is always right" is not the least bit true...at least, not all the time..
Bob Colon
http://www.bobs-world.net (personal site)
http://www.facebook.com/techguy1975 (Facebook page)
Twitter:techguytn1975
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"--James Dean