sdi switcher

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
kg4wxw

sdi switcher

Post by kg4wxw » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

so i am in the market for a 3 or 4 source sdi switcher... with other inputs various analog... any one have any for sale or can direct me to a decent one?

For a University broadcast of sporting events.

eadler

Re: sdi switcher

Post by eadler » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 am

Are you looking for something that can handle the graphics (and perhaps audio) also, in one package? Do you want something that can grow with future expansion or is 4 the limit? What about the ability to crop and move a piece of video over other video for a clock cam? What do you mean by "with other inputs various analog..."?
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm

For a straight 4x1 router, nothing fancy, we use a couple of Gefen units. Very reasonably priced, pass both SD and HD (and embedded audio), very reliable (knock wood), we use them to bypass some far-less-reliable gear in our air path.

Is there anything out there that will accept both SDI and analog in the same switcher? Can't say I've ever run across any such thing. but I've never had a need for one.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 pm

w9wi wrote:For a straight 4x1 router, nothing fancy, we use a couple of Gefen units. Very reasonably priced, pass both SD and HD (and embedded audio), very reliable (knock wood), we use them to bypass some far-less-reliable gear in our air path.

Is there anything out there that will accept both SDI and analog in the same switcher? Can't say I've ever run across any such thing. but I've never had a need for one.
I believe there was an Evertz switcher that used to be able to do this, but it's long since off the market. (It was a 4x2 which fit into the 7700 series frame.)

Your best bet is to convert anything from analog to digital, prior to the source to the switcher. SD-SDI straight forward switchers (i.e. Panaceas) are not that expensive anymore, and there is a large "surplus" market for them, with so many stations converting to HD.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

kg4wxw

Post by kg4wxw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:17 am

seems i need to give some more info on my air chain. When i get back into the office i will give a full list of the air chain and see if any one has any ideas. Remember this is a tv set up done by a radio guy..... so you should get a few lol's out of it.

merry xmas guys and gals

TheSigma

Post by TheSigma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I'd be curious to know what the video pro's here think of this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/atem/models/

the 1 M/E version might fit the bill for the OP, it has one set of analog ins and 4HD/SD-SDI inputs. depending on his app he may not nee the control panel in which case it is quite affordable. adding the control panel puts it in the realm of other small sdi switchers but I think they do not have the analog input.

Just a thought from another audio guy that dabbles in video.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 am

TheSigma wrote:I'd be curious to know what the video pro's here think of this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/atem/models/

the 1 M/E version might fit the bill for the OP, it has one set of analog ins and 4HD/SD-SDI inputs. depending on his app he may not nee the control panel in which case it is quite affordable. adding the control panel puts it in the realm of other small sdi switchers but I think they do not have the analog input.

Just a thought from another audio guy that dabbles in video.
I have the very similar ATEM Television Studio on my desk; it's impressive in a number of ways, but does have limitations that might be a problem in this application. For one, it won't pass embedded audio from input to output; for another, it doesn't pass metadata like closed captions. This is often a non-issue in a production environment where you're switching cameras and audio is mixed elsewhere, but in a master control setting where you expect the entire signal to pass through the switcher, it could be a deal breaker.

You can find a review I wrote of the thing here.

-- Jeff