getting programming out of sine systems

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
knowbetter

getting programming out of sine systems

Post by knowbetter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 am

and of course, i don't have the passwords!!!!

I want to see what the existing programming in a Rak1 is, but don't know who the last engineers were, or what the logins were...

any thoughts on access, without destroying what is already there?

thanks

RGORJANCE

Re: getting programming out of sine systems

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 am

I did quick look-see in the Sine manual for the RFC-1 and found there appears to be a factory password. The numbers are 4088. It may be possible to get into the programing to look at what is there using this code.

Take a look in the manual. If that is no longer at the station, you can view/download the manual from the Sine web site.

Fossil

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm

I don't think you need the log-in password if you are standing in front of the unit, and can use an attached phone set to connect directly to it.

There is a control password and one or two programming passwords. I think Fossil is correct that the default programming password is 4088. If it's been changed, I'm not sure how you would reset it to default. The Armstrong Transmitter people bought Sine Systems about a year and a half ago and kept them in business, so I think you can still call and get factory support.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Here's the info from the manual about reading and changing passwords from the "local" phone:
5.5.1 Security Codes
To limit system access to authorized personnel and prevent accidental changes, some functions require a
security code. Security codes only need to be entered once during a call.
In basic operation there are three security codes.
• Main Security Code: 12345678
• Control Security Code: 66
• Basic Programming Security Code: 4088
The main security code restricts access to the system from any remote telephone. The control security code
restricts access to the on/off or raise/lower functions. The basic programming security code restricts access to
system options (programming changes).
The commands to change the security codes are:
• Main Security Code: 72
• Control Security Code: 73
• Basic Programming Security Code: 74
The procedure to program the codes is the same except for the command to initiate the process.
Step 1 Enter the command (72-74) for the security code to program: 7x
2 The RFC-1 will read the current security code in that area.
3 At the prompt, press the # key to reprogram the security code: #
4 At the prompt, enter the appropriate number of digits--use the ❊ for unused digits: nn...
5 The RFC-1 responds with OK , the procedure is complete
The main security code can be up to 8 digits, the control security code and the basic programming security code
can each be up to 4 digits. Use the ❊ key to fill in unused spaces. If all spaces for a code are filled with ❊ the
code is disabled.
The advanced programming code should let you read (and change) all 1024 memory addresses:
Normal operations are suspended in programming mode. Channels are not selected and control relays do not
function. This releases the keypad so that keystrokes can have different functions.
• the command to enter programming mode is: 80
• the command to exit programming mode is: ❊
• in programming mode, the # key acts like an enter key
• the advanced programming security code is: 4150
Here is how it works. Enter 80 on the keypad to activate the programming mode. The RFC-1 will respond with "enter
advanced programming security code". Enter the correct code and the RFC-1 will say "enter four digit address".
Enter the address for the item that you are changing.
When the RFC-1 is waiting for data in programming mode, your options are:
• Push # to read the data at the current memory location
• Push nn# to write the value nn at this memory location
• Push 80 to enter to a new memory address
• Push ❊ to exit the programming mode
If you choose to read or write data, every time you press the # key the RFC-1 will read or write the data at the current
address and increment to the next address. It is not necessary to enter 80 and a new address for each memory
location if you are reading or writing a series of continuous locations. It is like filling in a form on a computer: each
time you press the enter key, the computer accepts the data and skips to the next item. Only use the 80 command
when you want to skip to a new address.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:The numbers are 4088.
That is the basic programming security code for setting simple things like the date and time. For programming you need the advanced programming security code, and the default is 4150.

If that default has been changed I do not know of any way to recover it or the programming short of shipping the unit back to the factory or pulling the EEPROM to read it with external hardware and software. The latter would let you read the upper nibble of the byte where that code is stored.

A useful resource for recording the programming in a Sine is my spreadsheet, which shows functions and factory values for all 1024 memory locations, including the alternate uses for systems with more than 16 channels. It is at:

http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/pages/forms.html
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

knowbetter

Post by knowbetter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 am

thanks, all...

luckily, we were able to find a previous engineer who had the files I needed!

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 pm

The Sine Systems RFC-1's Advanced Programming Security Code is easy to access and change. Just access the unit by the "local" phone by plugging the instrument into the "Phone" jack on the unit, taking the phone "off-hook" and pressing the "Push button to operate" button on the front panel of one of the RP-8 units. The unit should wake up and say hello. Punch in 75 on the phone instrument and it will spill its guts with the APSC and even let you change it, no password needed. Then at that point you're off to the races. This will NOT work if you've dialed into the unit from the outside. Good luck!