Right mic for a studio??

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
ingeborgdot

Right mic for a studio??

Post by ingeborgdot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:45 am

This is for a high school studio that has a limited budget. I am looking at putting in 2 shotgun mics or some type of condenser mic from above instead of using the lav mics. This is for when we do our broadcasts and any other type of interview or project. This way we don't have to spend time hiding the cable and making sure everything is set properly which can some times take up to 5 minutes or more when using a lav. What mic can be suggested for around the $300 mark a mic. I have been looking at the Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone found at this link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002P ... o_pC_S_ttl What are your suggestions on this? Thanks.

PID_Stop

Re: Right mic for a studio??

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am

Generally speaking, an overhead mic is going to sound rather thin and distant compared to a lav... and you're going to have issues with irregular levels if your people move around at all. If you are using some sort of desk, you might want to look at a boundary mic like an AKG (formerly Crown) PZM or PCC series.

Having said that, what is the objective of your operation? If it's mainly a means of doing announcements, that's one thing... but if the purpose is for your kids to learn how to originate electronic media content, it seems like it would make more sense to teach them how to properly deploy one of the more common types of microphones they are likely to use. Yes, it will take more time early on... but as they catch on, the setup will go a lot faster.

-- Jeff

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:42 pm

As someone associated with a high school radio station, I second the need to get the students used to 'real world' setups. This will better prepare them to continue in the field and give them a leg up on their peers when they get into college, or even corporate, environments.

We try to have similar systems and operations that match those of commercial stations - this gives the kids in our program (starting in 7th grade) a good idea of how its done in the real world out there. We have had a number of our students go on to broadcasting or related fields after graduating - some are on the air in major markets, some have owned stations, others are on the air in various radio and TV positions, still others have gone on to careers in the entertainment and music industries. They have all benefitted in their current position from having learned the real deal when in high school. You are offering your students an opportunity that not many will get to have in their high school careers.

It may be difficult getting started, however the payoff when they get it and in the experience they learn will be well worth the difficulties now, IMHO.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:22 am

For my high school radio station studio builds I used some of the Hiel PR-30's and was very pleased with the result. It's been many years since my district had a real television studio but at the time we did use the Sony lavs. It depends if you're trying to teach the kids more about actual production or just getting the job done. In my case I wanted to give the students more than an over glorified A/V closet and built everything to mirror a broadcast studio as close as I could within the restrictive budget I had. I also have to agree with what my peers stated above, too.

edited: corrected typo
Last edited by Bill DeFelice on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 am

i have tried all kinds of mics for my part 15 setup. i finally settled on the classic Sennheiser MD421U mic. they can still be found cheap second hand and they seem to sound great on both am and fm with no need for any kind of mic processing. i mean i have tried everything from MXL to electrovoice and always found myself coming back to this particular mic. in my opinion they just can't be beat. slap a wind sock on them and you can't go wrong.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Just finished building an LPFM for the local community college. Engineered in, built and advised a school district on their 900 watt non-com for years.

I would avoid condenser mikes--too touchy for inexperienced announcers. The Heil or the Sennheiser HD 421 are not bad choices for dynamic mikes, BSW (BSWUSA.com) offers a package with a Shure SM7 and a mike boom for $400. I would use a boom or permanently mount the mike--table stands add too much rumble/jumble. Would not use PZM/ pressure zone mikes for this same reason. One trick I've seen is to make a fixed boom using sections of 1/2" black iron pipe from the plumbing section of your local hardware store --if you find the right thread the mike holder will screw right into the end of a short piece of threaded pipe.

junaidshahid

Post by junaidshahid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:14 am

In my case I wanted to give the students more than an over glorified A/V closet and built everything to mirror a broadcast studio as close as I could within the restrictive budget I had. I also have to agree with what my peers stated above, too.
Banned for the greater good of this forum.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 am

From the first post, I get the impression this a TV studio, not a radio studio. If that is the case, a couple of good cardioid mikes on a desk where the announcers are seated would probably be adequate. Otherwise--where the talent is standing up or moving around--back to lavaliers-- perhaps wireless.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:06 pm

I moved this topic to "Ask The Engineers".

Thanks.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"