What are your opinions on this Console/Mixer ?

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Fran3

What are your opinions on this Console/Mixer ?

Post by Fran3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:06 pm

We are looking at consoles for the master control room, production room, group discussion room.

What do you guys think of this one?

Wheatstone Audioarts RD-12 Digital Radio Console Broadcast Mixer w/ Telco Module ?

And what other suggestions do you have?

Due to budget our first choice is used equipment in good working condition but we will look at any reasonable option.

Of course, we don't require stereo... except... how do you guys convert a device's Stereo output to Mono ? Using resistors to "sum" the two signals may have an impact on the eq (I think)... a 2-channel "mixer" would seem more appropriate. I've seen "stereo to mono" adapters at radio shack but who the heck knows what is in them... are the L & R channels just tied together? Connected to a couple of resistors that are then tied together... or what? What is the "professional" way to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Shane

Re: What are your opinions on this Console/Mixer ?

Post by Shane » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm

A resistive pad should work. You could use a summing amp and get some adjustability at the risk of an extra component to fail. Resistive pads are pretty reliable since their caps never go bad! :lol:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Yeah, a dollar's worth of carbon resistors beats a $100 active mixer every time. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:03 pm

If this is the one on E-bay, be aware you will need a power supply. Wheatstone can probably supply that.
Also, it looks like this console uses the same push buttons as the R-60 analo0g console. The R-60 I inherited had a number of broken switches (they wouldn't push down or wouldn't make reliable contacts).

NoelM

Post by NoelM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 pm

I assume that this mixer, like many others, has active balanced low impedance analog outputs. An easy way to combine Left and Right, is to wire up two XLR connectors. Use pin-1 for earth/ground, as is usual. For the balanced mono output, wire one leg to pin-2 of one connector, and wire the other leg to pin-3 of the other connector. Each output will contribute half the normal output level, so the final mono output level will be the same as the two individual Left and Right outputs. BTW: the Left and Right outputs can still be used as a stereo feed. (I have used this method many times.)

grich

Post by grich » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 am

TPT wrote:If this is the one on E-bay, be aware you will need a power supply. Wheatstone can probably supply that...
I bet the original eBay seller has the power supply for sale separately at a premium price... :roll: