Offical AMC 8 Transition Thread (was Sat. AMC-8)

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Lee_Wheeler

Re: Sat. AMC-8

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:20 pm

^^^This.

I got my email today from Westwood One. Moving to 105 degrees West beginning in February.

...Lee

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 pm

I got two.

One was from Learfield with a complete Q&A on the subject. It makes entertaining reading about midway through when you realize they have spoken to more than a few GMs over the years. Questions only GMs would ask (10-14 and maybe a few more).
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RGORJANCE

Re: Sat. AMC-8 I remember that too...I am old.

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 am

And I'm even older than that! I started in radio when NBC Monitor came in on phone lines. Remember Bob and Ray, "We AreThe Joy Boys of Radio??? We chase electrons to and fro-o-o"!

I got a huge Simulsat dish that we are going to have to deal with. Access to the LNB is a bit awkward. We have to move the LNB....the dish is "cast in concrete"!

Fossil

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:32 am

Yea, our big dish has an elaborate brace built across the back--wind kept rotating it on the post. Big 12' dish. The mount for the LNB is cracked, so perhaps time to buy a new dish.

jantonuk

Re: Offical AMC 8 Transition Thread (was Sat. AMC-8)

Post by jantonuk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 pm

The word is that all radio networks will be moving to 105 deg West on SES-11 starting Feb and deadline June 30.

see attachments.

John
Attachments
US Commercial Radio Networks to Change Satellites in 2017 v8.docx
(60.25 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
QA Document - US Commercial Radio Networks to Change Satellites v16.docx
(67.11 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 pm

OK Gang...

Here we go. It is Feb 2017 and about to go out on a dish inventory (6 or 8ea) trip tomorrow. A couple of the dishes that I will be looking at were installed by myself over the past 3 or 4 years and are both on non-pen mounts in parking lots. The others are OLD to semi-old, post mounted dishes that we will try to reuse but I fear will be proven to not be up to the job (2 degree compliant) or just simply won't have a clear look at 105d.

We don't plan on moving any dishes in the next few weeks but would be interested in hearing about others findings on smaller or older dishes as far as signal strengths and EBNO's go.

It's time...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 pm

I'd also be interested to learn what others are using (if anything) for snow/ice prevention, particularly for dishes that are not easily accessible.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 am

Are there any providers now on the new satellite? I was thinking of moving the backup antenna over to it but I need some frequencies to look for on the SA.

RGORJANCE

Re: snow/ice prevention

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Glad you asked!

Got one dish with no cover. It hasn't failed at all.

Got another with the big plastic/rubber cover. Had to go there twice in a week to beat the crap outta the membrane with my crutch. Actually worked pretty good until I discovered my pant leg was snagged on the top of my suede winter footwear. Wet snow/ice/water landed in the top of the boot. Started speaking in tongues. Bummers.

Impractical suggestion.......try ducting some hot xmttr exhaust heat on the back of the dish, or move to where they ain't got no snow.

Fossil

ChuckG

Re: snow/ice prevention

Post by ChuckG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm
Glad you asked!

Got one dish with no cover. It hasn't failed at all.

Got another with the big plastic/rubber cover. Had to go there twice in a week to beat the crap outta the membrane with my crutch. Actually worked pretty good until I discovered my pant leg was snagged on the top of my suede winter footwear. Wet snow/ice/water landed in the top of the boot. Started speaking in tongues. Bummers.

Impractical suggestion.......try ducting some hot xmttr exhaust heat on the back of the dish, or move to where they ain't got no snow.

Fossil
Fossil's law: Falling ice and snow will find the nearest opening in your clothing. :lol:

I have one dish that's only accessible with a bucket truck. At it's current angle, it works. Tipped up like a teacup as it will be soon... should get interesting.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am

Been putting on the heaters from RTI products. Work except in the worst of storms. Nothing can always keep up with Mom Nature.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

grich

Post by grich » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Learfield just announced the new carriers are up on AMC-18.

February 7, 2017… It's official! The five U.S. commercial radio networks who operate their own satellite systems are now up and running on the new AMC-18 at 105 degrees West Longitude. This is the long-term replacement for AMC-8 at 139 degrees West Longitude, which has exceeded its design life and is not being replaced by an equivalent C-band satellite at the same location.

The five networks - Learfield, Orbital Media Networks (OMNi), Premiere Networks, Skyview, and Westwood One - now have their full complements of satellite-delivered programming available on their new frequencies on AMC-18. This includes all show titles, satellite channels, contact closures, PAD data, cue messages and file-delivery channels - the same ones you are familiar with from AMC-8.

It also includes programming from syndicators who lease their satellite time from these five companies. A partial list of those syndicated programs is included in our FAQ document at http://www.amc8migration.com/docs/RNUG_FAQ.pdf.

Today, February 7, marks the five-month countdown to U.S. commercial radio programing being permanently removed from AMC-8 at 139 West. June 30, 2017, is the final date for all affiliates to have their satellite downlinks repointed to 105 West.

To ease the transition, each network has programmed a Fallback Carrier into a table in each receiver's memory. This allows each receiver (whether Storq or XDS or Wegener) to find the correct new carrier on AMC-18. Once a receiver loses lock on the old signal on AMC-8, it will alternately search for the "old" and "new" frequencies for that network until it locks to one. When your dish is successfully pointed to 105 West, your receiver(s) should lock to the "new" signal within 30 seconds.

ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 pm

We moved a 10 foot Prodelin fiberglas antenna to AMC-18 (a backup to our Comtech). The signal was a little less on it but all the receivers locked on and had EbNo's around 9 - 10. Alignment was very touchy - one little squeak either way and you are getting the next satellite over so it may not work on a windy day. Took lots of WD-40 and wrenching around to get it to move to satisfy our curiosity.

themarcshow

Post by themarcshow » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 am

I was in a discussion today with our contract engineer about the transition. On thing I want to check before we move our dish is if it's actually 2 degrees compliant.

So, Is a Scientific Atlanta model 9000 2.8m solid dish 2 degree compliant? Is anyone using one? My google skills didn't find any specs for that dish.

This dish was installed in 1999. It looks to be in very good shape for being 18 years old. Minimal signs of corrosion, nothing some cleaning spray can't handle. Both 139 and 105 point over a completely flat, open,and tree-less field so there should be no new obstructions.

Just looking for verification before turning wrenches.
Thanks
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct

ncradioeng

Post by ncradioeng » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 pm

That may not hack it - only 9.1 feet in diameter. But you can try - just mark it so you can go back to where it is. The LNB polarization has to be adjusted a few degrees also.