Collins/Continental Circuit Breakers - Brand?

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Dale H. Cook

Collins/Continental Circuit Breakers - Brand?

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Does anyone recall what brand of circuit breaker Collins and Continental used? I am pretty sure that the Collins 820E/F, 828E, and 831 series, and the Continental 315R-1, and 816R series, all used the same brand of breaker. I have an 820E-1 with a bad 28 volt power supply breaker (3 phase 220 volt, 0.55A, Curve 3) and I would like to find a replacement for less than the $750 that Continental wants. This is a rural, small-town, Mom-and-Pop (actually Pop and-Pop) station with very little for cash reserves but is a classic community-oriented station that truly serves their listeners. You know, the kind of station that many of us worked for before consolidation.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Collins/Continental Circuit Breakers - Brand?

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:15 am

Chris Tarr's sister station in Buffalo , NY (WBEN) has two 820E-1's that are both backup rigs. The chief there may have some spare parts.

Long shot, I know, but it's something...
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 am

Dale:

A suggestion would be for you to take those ckt brkr specs to a place like Graybar, or Grainger to see if they could come up with a suitable substitute. I would thing a major electrical supply house would be able to come up with something, unless Collins/Continental had a manu. put something extra in it to make it "proprietary" to them only.

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 am

This afternoon I will go to a client site about 15 minutes away (the client with the 820E-1 is almost 2 hours away) where there is a breaker panel from a scrapped-out 828E and see what brand it has. I would bet that Collins used the same brand of breakers in all of their transmitters from that period. Once I get the brand I may be able to figure out the OEM's part number for the bad one. I have Grainger, Graybar and WESCO here (it helps to live in an industry-based city of about 100,000) and I will see what they might have.

I am also checking with Commercial Radio Co. for a replacement base ammeter. Danny can often provide the exact ammeter or mica cap that I want for a somewhat lower price than Kintronic, Gates Air, or other sources.

I generally don't bother with used thermocouple ammeters bought from stations or surplus dealers. I would rather that my clients buy new Weschlers from Danny and know that they are accurate.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 am

Maybe check with these folks. They have bailed my ass out a few times in the past. Literally a warehouse of circuit breakers.

http://circuitbreakersplus.com/ (In Sacramento)

Dale H. Cook wrote:Does anyone recall what brand of circuit breaker Collins and Continental used? I am pretty sure that the Collins 820E/F, 828E, and 831 series, and the Continental 315R-1, and 816R series, all used the same brand of breaker. I have an 820E-1 with a bad 28 volt power supply breaker (3 phase 220 volt, 0.55A, Curve 3) and I would like to find a replacement for less than the $750 that Continental wants. This is a rural, small-town, Mom-and-Pop (actually Pop and-Pop) station with very little for cash reserves but is a classic community-oriented station that truly serves their listeners. You know, the kind of station that many of us worked for before consolidation.