Anyone heard of (or dealt with) these guys?

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
ChuckG

Anyone heard of (or dealt with) these guys?

Post by ChuckG » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:53 pm

http://www.radiodatacenter.de/index.php/en/broadcasters

Received an email from them about putting call letters on car radios for free. "Free" without details gives me hives. :lol:

Anyone heard of them or used their service or whatever it is?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

w9wi

Re: Anyone heard of (or dealt with) these guys?

Post by w9wi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:03 am

One of the names is familiar through DXing channels. He runs a website that correlates technical data for FM stations in the various European countries. Something not entirely unlike the FCC's FM Query.

The site you linked is pretty vague but I'm thinking he's basically a RDS (and DAB) consultant. I am of the impression that's more a "thing" in Europe than it is here.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

TPT

Re: Anyone heard of (or dealt with) these guys?

Post by TPT » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 am

In a number of areas in Europe, rather than having a smaller number of high power stations, there are many low power stations networked together.

Various reasons--keeping signals inside the borders of small countries (e.g Netherlands, Belgium), licensing policies reserving high power channels to state broadcasters, terrain (Norway--most population along the coast), or government policies favoring a few large broadcasters with a chain of stations.

Another use is for traffic info on major highways--very low power /leaky coax stations along the road carrying that info grouped around one frequency.

RDS is used to switch car radios from one signal to the next for drivers.