Telephone Pole

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Telephone Pole

Post by NECRAT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:39 am

So I am looking at putting up a telephone pole in my yard. For logistical reasons and for a display I am working on.
I was thinking it would be a good thing to mount a couple of antennas on as well.

But, I have no clue where to get them? Are they expensive? Who puts them in?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

jammerdave

Re: Telephone Pole

Post by jammerdave » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:52 am

I have been told that our power company (PGE) would sell and install one. Never checked myself.

df

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:32 pm

There are also private companies that will do that. I had one set several light poles at my drive-in theatre this year. If you get one interested, they might mount your antennas, too.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Years ago in New Jersey, if you knew the right people, Jersey Central Power and Light would put one up for you for free. WA2ACP had one. I think he was an employee. Can't believe I remember his call letters but his name escapes me (Andy?).

Now I'll have to look him up. This is the second time his calls came to mind - probably both times because of this thread! He could well be SK by now.

And the free pole installed days are likely way over.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Have had it done twice, once for a STL installation, the other for a temporary FM antenna while a tower was being replaced.
Both times the power company got it done. I couldn't guess what yours might charge, but "Free" probably isn't it.

I assume you don't live in town. :lol: Around here they get skeevy if you put up a flagpole over 15'.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:33 am

If your local public utility refuses to set one for you, look up a temporary power outfit. They'll do just about anything for a buck.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:11 pm

There are cable construction companies that do this as contractors for many utilities. They are usually the least expensive. I have used them both for pole installation and underground construction (buried cable).

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:53 am

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'll post pictures when I get it completed.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Are you referring to Alexander Graham Kowalski, the first telephone "pole"? Yeah, I know, that's a real groaner . .

It's been a year of Sundays since I planted a pole but here's some thoughts . . .

Contact a larger electrical contractor or three about planting a pole for you. If they have a pole truck (auger and crane truck) they'll have experience with that sort of thing and know where to get the raw materials. (Perhaps your employer has one electrical contractor that they deal with on a regular basis and they may be able to be helpful as a courtesy?)

If there's been any medium voltage transmission line work being done in your area that you're aware of (road widening, upgrading to bigger poles or to concrete or steel poles) check with the contractor doing that work to see if they might have a surplus or salvaged pole that they could sell you, along with installation. Existing poles can be yanked out of the ground with a crane without structurally damaging them.

Checking with your local telco or power company may yield a pole that no longer meets their needs that they might be willing to sell to you at a good price. (I actually have a broken-off pole laying in my pasture that you're welcome to, I wish the darned local power company would clean up after themselves, for a change!)

The taller the pole the pricier it will be. And that price will take off for the moon once you get over about 50- to 60-feet. I seem to remember that the 90-footer that I planted longer ago than I care to admit to was around $6,000, delivered. (LOTS of special permits needed to move that bad boy up the east coast from Alabama, almost turned out that it would have been cheaper to do an engineered foundation and a metal "pole".)

And then there's always partnering with with a tower company to plant a real self-supporting steel tower for mobile phone service if mobile data service is spotty in your area.