Harris Impulse Input cards question

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Richinald

Harris Impulse Input cards question

Post by Richinald » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Hello,

I had a friend that recently purchased a very well maintained Harris Impulse console model number: 99-1060

The console looks very good and powers up nicely, just there is a small confusion about the input cards, since they do look an early production model in comparison with what the PDF manual describes.

95-1041 A If right should be the Analog audio card
In the manual it shows as: 99-1041
95-1042-1A If right should be the Digital AES3 card.
In the manual there are two models shown: 99-1042-1 (AES3) and 99-1042-2 (Optical)

If a person or engineer can give more insight about these cards, would be appreciated, since the manual also mentions that the digital card can be Fiber or AES3, also can the cards be substituted for example changing the digital cards for the analog ones

Also if there is a fellow broadcaster that would have spare input cards for the Harris Impulse would be appreciated

My e-mail is: richinaldvelasquez@gmail.com

Thank You
Richinald

grich

Re: Harris Impulse Input cards question

Post by grich » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Yes, if you want to change digital inputs to analog, all you have to do is swap the input cards.

I have an Impulse on the air at one of my clients' sites, getting ready to be demoted to a production room role. I don't have any spare analog cards. There may be a few digital cards lying around.

Richinald

Post by Richinald » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply and the information regarding the Harris Impulse cards.

Just had an additional question that came up ; since the console has 10 digital AES input cards, in our area where we do live, we all have done in the past console connections the 'old fashioned' way with analog inputs.

Since AES is kind of new to us (growing up learning radio broadcasting in a analog environment) to connect an player (for example) an CD player AES outputs to the AES inputs of the Harris impulse, should it be exclusively an AES output connection on the CD player or can it also be the digital RCA output that is found on a lot of CD and DVD Players.

If we would need to use an analog to AES converter, can you recommend a good one that would do the job, we would need to convert 6 analog sources to AES, if in case there is difficulty to locate the analog cards.

Thanks

Richinald

Richinald

Post by Richinald » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

grich wrote:Yes, if you want to change digital inputs to analog, all you have to do is swap the input cards.

I have an Impulse on the air at one of my clients' sites, getting ready to be demoted to a production room role. I don't have any spare analog cards. There may be a few digital cards lying around.
Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply and the information regarding the Harris Impulse cards.

Just had an additional question that came up ; since the console has 10 digital AES input cards, in our area where we do live, we all have done in the past console connections the 'old fashioned' way with analog inputs.

Since AES is kind of new to us (growing up learning radio broadcasting in a analog environment) to connect an player (for example) an CD player AES outputs to the AES inputs of the Harris impulse, should it be exclusively an AES output connection on the CD player or can it also be the digital RCA output that is found on a lot of CD and DVD Players.

If we would need to use an analog to AES converter, can you recommend a good one that would do the job, we would need to convert 6 analog sources to AES, if in case there is difficulty to locate the analog cards.

Thanks

Richinald

grich

Post by grich » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:00 pm

The S/PDIF coax output (RCA connector) on consumer gear MIGHT play ok with the Impulse AES input, but the Impulse AES inputs are balanced. You will want to match the two together with a balun.

I have never used the AES inputs on an Impulse console, but on an AJA FS1, I've gotten away with a coax connection from a S/PDIF device. The digital signal level is not the same, so some pro gear can't keep a stable lock on S/DIF signals.

I don't have any first hand experience with AES converters so I can't offer any suggestions. I would strive for finding analog input cards to keep things tidy and simple.