FM radio with excellent selectivity needed

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
jantonuk

FM radio with excellent selectivity needed

Post by jantonuk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:10 pm

We still use Marti's for remotes.
Whew, now that I have that off my chest... :)

Our little Marti RPT-2 on 450 MHz really swamps all the cheap portable FM receivers we try to use at remotes.

I'm looking for suggestions.

thanks,

John

ChuckG

Re: FM radio with excellent selectivity needed

Post by ChuckG » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm

I've had pretty good luck with GE Superradios, although they are now branded RCA and from what I'm told are no longer the same design. You can still find the originals on ebay.
Sony ICF-38's have also worked surprisingly well, considering the price
http://www.frys.com/product/5575030

Our marti's are in the 161 Mhz range, not 450, so YMMV.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Back in the RPU days (Marti remotes were a big reason why I quit being a chief engineer years ago) I had a Crown FM2 in the remote motorhome and it was bulletproof. Now that all of the remotes are done with Comrex units it was safe for me to go back to being a chief engineer again but many of the tuners in the current fleet of vans are NAD units and, from what they tell me, they worked fine around the 450 gear when they were still using RPUs.

The Crown units are real tough to find and real expensive if you can find them but you can pick up NAD tuners on eBay in the $50 to $75 range.

...Lee

grich

Post by grich » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 pm

jantonuk wrote:We still use Marti's for remotes.
Whew, now that I have that off my chest... :)...
Why apologize? There are plenty of stations in rural areas where cell service is poor, landlines few, and Martis are it. I have a client that was able to have permanent antennas installed on press boxes and gyms...most were set 30 years ago. Still using them almost every week (161 band). Also had decent luck with Superradios...if only the sports guy would stop breaking them. I saw they had bought a RatShack digitally tuned radio last month, but I haven't heard a field report on it yet.

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks for responding.
So here's more detail.
The Marti RPT-2 (UHF) is with 10-20 ft of a cheap Chinese FM receiver that the talent uses to monitor the station.
I have a good receiver in the van but we are "double-hopping" from inside the venue.

So, as soon as the Marti goes on, the FM radio blanks out. My best guess is receiver overload. I was hoping some decent portable FM radio might have a front end that was only 88-108 or at least hi-band VHF and not UHF.

I'm guessing that a UHF stop or VHF-Hi pass on the cheap radio would not keep the UHF Marti out of the radio since it is so close.

I know that the GE Super Radio was great on AM (medium wave) but don't know about its performance on FM (VHF HI).

John

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 pm

If you could find an old Philips boom box I think you'd have it made in the shade! The one I use has a cassette player/recorder on the front and a CD player on top, which I have used to cover commercial breaks when we're driving a parade route.

Its FM antenna was broken off years ago but it doesn't seem to matter much and the AM section can pick up our indoor-challenged signals just fine in a grocery store.

The power cord got lost years ago and the radio just rode around in the back of the van. I must have gotten desperate one day and took it out, bought 6 new D size batteries for it and it's been great ever since.

I think the batteries are between 3 & 5 years old now. I always take them out and load them bottom to bottom after use in case someone accidentally turns it on and leaves it.

I had an old Sears boom box that probably would be as good. That thing had stereo mics in it. I once recorded a thunderstorm with it. That was also amazing. Unfortunately that box didn't come with me when I last moved.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:25 am

Got a cell phone with FM active? My BB works FM around just about anything.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:18 am

We bought several of the Grundig Traveler portables. These are paper back book size, but they have a stereo headphone jack that could be used to drive an amp--or, as we normally use them, a couple of headphones through a splitter. Our 40 watt Marti's don't seem to bother them much--then again, the antenna for your 2 watt is right next to the radio in a typical remote set-up.

They seem fairly rugged--just got done cleaning spilled pop off one. Lots of rubbing alcohol & lots of rubbing. Radio works fine--just sticky.

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:58 pm

TPT,
Which band are your 40 watt Marti's on?
John

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:09 am

450 and 160. We had antennas mounted at the old high school, & used 450 (the station was just at the top of the hill from the school). Then when the new high school was built we installed antennas for our 160 Marti, as there was a hill between the school and the station. At the new school, the antenna is just outside the press box at the football stadium.

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:19 pm

OK. I ordered a Sangean PR-D19BK

This review...
https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d1 ... ble-radio/

indicates there is good selectivity and a variable bandwidth switch for FM reception.

Amazon Prime is sending me one for $67 including optional AC power wall wart.

John

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:51 pm

The Sangean radio rocks

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Ah, but how does it "roll" with the RPT-2? :)

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Very well.
RPT-2 transmitting with rubber ducky, Sangean sitting on the desk next to it, no desense.

Just what the doctor ordered.