Optimod 9100B/2 Refurb

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
kc8gpd

Optimod 9100B/2 Refurb

Post by kc8gpd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Group,

i have an Optimod 9100B/2 on it's way soon. who does these now? i'd like to have it Rechipped, Recapped, and Realigned and about how much would i be looking at to have these done. it's specifically a 9100B/2 with LED Upgrade and i'm almost certain has the NRSC Card and Card 10 for Stereo.

I should have it in a couple weeks.

Thanks

Rob in Denver
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

RodeoJack

Re: Optimod 9100B/2 Refurb

Post by RodeoJack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

I hear there are a couple of other shops that have Bob Orban's blessing, when it comes to the inner workings of the Optimod. In practicality though, I only know about the Sacks' operation, having used them a couple of times.

Kim is fully qualified to do this work should she choose to continue the effort... don't know on that count.

If you can get them in, it will likely cost you somewhere between $700 and $1,500, depending on what your unit needs. The last one they did for me had some problems, which they fixed, in addition to rechipping, changing caps and the power supply. It came back one impressive piece of equipment. It also cost me about $1,100 to do it.

Would I do this again? Maybe, though there's an argument to be made that the extra cost of more-current processors is returned in features the optimods were never made to provide. In that case, it's a matter of personal preference.

On the stereo issue: They (she) will refurbish a stereo unit, though they will also offer to do it as a mono. They'd like the extra cards for use in others that will come in, needing them. As to what kind of deal they might make for that, I don't know. In your case, I'd certainly ask.