Odd Ball or Cisco BNC Connector

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Odd Ball or Cisco BNC Connector

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:21 am

So I am hitting several dead ends here, including unfortunately dealing with the dreadful support at Cisco.

We have at our tower, a backup Cisco Encoder, a D9036 unit. The ASI output on it has this oddball sized BNC on it.

It's slightly smaller than a normal BNC, but much larger than a HD-BNC or Micro-BNC.

Anyone familiar with this connector and where to possibly find the correct part number for it?

The connector itself isn't stamped. The cable assembly has a tag from a Taiwan company on it.

I'm close to pulling the ASI board out, and just modifying the connector to a pig-tail BNC instead.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Re: Odd Ball or Cisco BNC Connector

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am

Might it be a mini-BNC connector, perhaps? Amphenol was pushing them pretty hard for the telecom industry.

Digikey sells them...

Jeff

P.S.: I just re-read your original post and saw that you had eliminated mini-BNC... but the side difference is not nearly as much as between BNC and HDBNC.

P.P.S: This is a real head-scratcher. The spec sheets for this product call for an ordinary BNC connector for the ASI output. Could someone have modified your box for some reason?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:27 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am
Might it be a mini-BNC connector, perhaps? Amphenol was pushing them pretty hard for the telecom industry.

Digikey sells them...

Jeff

P.S.: I just re-read your original post and saw that you had eliminated mini-BNC... but the side difference is not nearly as much as between BNC and HDBNC.

P.P.S: This is a real head-scratcher. The spec sheets for this product call for an ordinary BNC connector for the ASI output. Could someone have modified your box for some reason?
Tomorrow I will post a picture. The specs do say an ordinary BNC, but look carefully at the encoder pictures. Top center is the ASI output card, then look at the HDSDI input card, bottom left. The amphenol connectors are interesting, I may order one just for the heck of it from my cable/connector guy.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:32 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:37 am
That was my error Jeff. I meant Micro-BNC. I must have searched for it wrong before.