EAS over Barix

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
jantonuk

EAS over Barix

Post by jantonuk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm looking at the possibility of remotely locating the receiver for one of my EAS monitoring assignments. Of course the least expensive way to bring it back to the station is using Barix over the Internet.

Comments?
thanks,
John

Shane

Re: EAS over Barix

Post by Shane » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 pm

WINamp?

It would be interesting to see what a path thru Barixes would come out like for the header code/EOM.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:51 am

VLC?
Tin cans on a string? :lol:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 am

jantonuk wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm
I'm looking at the possibility of remotely locating the receiver for one of my EAS monitoring assignments. Of course the least expensive way to bring it back to the station is using Barix over the Internet.

Comments?
thanks,
John
No problem and, as long as you have a good link-up, no issues. Have done it at several locations. Have also split the stereo feed and put separate receivers on L and R. For that matter, I have one station, operated by a "frugal" owner, that has two AM stations at a diplexed antenna. He feeds one station off the left channel and the other off the right. It's been in service for 5 years or so. Only issues are the occasional DSL hiccup.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 am

We have been using Barix Annuncicom 100s for better than ten years to link our spoke stations' Sage ENDECs to our centralcasting hub; they have been exceptionally reliable. Our approach is somewhat different from what I'm seeing in the other comments: the ENDECs remain at the spoke stations where the monitor receivers are located. The sending Annuncicom gets its audio feed from the ENDEC's main output; the ENDEC's program interrupt relay triggers both Annuncicom switch inputs (one enables the audio stream, the other closes the relay in the receiving Annuncicom); and the ENDEC's RS232 crawl data feeds the Annuncicom. At the hub end, each station's Annuncicom provides the audio, audio interrupt contact closure, and crawl data just as if the ENDEC were on site.

Back when we started using these Barix links, the stations had a mix of older grey Sage ENDECs and TFT 911s; nowadays we have blue Digital ENDECs, which lets us fire tests remotely through the web browser interface -- or the people at the spoke sites can fire tests locally.

Jeff

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

My concern is passing the header tones intact so they can be decoded. Any recommended bit rate?
John

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:40 pm

I have NWS stations I monitor that are in the noise some times...yet the header tones decode just fine. Would not be an issue I would worry about.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:51 pm

As with anything digital, the higher the bitrate the better it can be reassembled at the other end. I have only run into one instance where the header tones were degraded enough to make a difference. This particular station is a LP1 and the Wheatstone audio processor rendered the tone unreliable on some receiver / EAS unit combinations. Everything was transported via a Moseley Starlink uncompressed STL and the only thing that was different after the build was the addition of the Wheatstone unit in place of an 8100A at the transmitter. Even then, there were only one or two stations that had trouble with it while the rest of the stations in the market couldn't tell the difference.

It was a PITA to fix and I had to install a RS-232 signaled switch, triggered by the Sage, at the transmitter to bypass the processor (which was at the transmitter site) so that it could flip the processor into a bypass mode during EAS operations.

...Lee

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 pm

I have an LP1 and LP2 station. Both of them in the last year have had problems with downstream stations decoding EAS alerts.

After chasing a bunch of different things on the LP2, it was discovered that bypassing the "people meter enhancement device" solved the problem. So I rigged up relays in the Sage to automatically throw said device into bypass mode when sending alerts.

The LP1 was suspected of having the same problem, but it turned out to be a cheap reverb unit that programming insisted had to be in the airchain. Unfortunately it ended up downstream of the Sage box. It worked okay for awhile after it was installed...my guess is that the PD kept fiddling with it and found the magic combination of knob settings that distorted EAS tones. Grrrrr