JPEG2000 Adaptive Bitrate live streaming

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
michal.hrncirik

JPEG2000 Adaptive Bitrate live streaming

Post by michal.hrncirik » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 am

Hello guys,

I would be interested to find someone who has broadcaster kind of experience. I am working on a project which uses GPU for video transcoding and allows live video streaming on generic hardware for broadcasters. I would really like to talk/chat with folks who work/worked for TVs, namely, live event streaming like sports so I can ask for their experience with live video transcoding between contribution and distribution part (or ABR transcoding) and their challenges/problems they face. It would help me to build the right product for right people. Just please raise your hand if I can show you the transcoder specification and get your feedback on what it would need to be an ideal tool for real-time transcoding. Oh, and it does JPEG2000 TR-01 on the input at the moment (no ASI, SDI).

Thanks.

PID_Stop

Re: JPEG2000 Adaptive Bitrate live streaming

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 am

We used a JPEG2000 link a number of years ago to move an HD program feed from our regional control center in one city to one of our stations in another city... it was a Leitch 6800+ series card set, which tells you how long ago this was. The system had almost no delay, on the order of several frames of video, and was quite high quality -- but the data rate was ridiculously high, on the order of 30-40Mb/s. We could get away with then it because we had multiple DS3 circuits available at the time, but there is no way we would do something like that nowadays. MPEG-4 is a far more practical solution for us: the latency can be reasonably low, and we can encode an HD feed at 5Mb/s or less and get very good quality. Hardware for MPEG-4 encoding and decoding has become quite compact and cost-effective: for instance, a single OpenGear card like Cobalt Digital's 9223 can encode up to two different video feeds, producing both ASI and streaming IP outputs with FEC; a similar card, their 9990-DEC-MPEG, completes the link on the receive end. The thing just powers up and works with no fuss or user intervention; I don't know how one can reasonably improve on that.

Jeff

michal.hrncirik

Post by michal.hrncirik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 am

Hi Jeff,

thank you, that's very helpful insight. I understand the point about the high bit-rate requirements for JPEG2000. We see this use when broadcasters still want to do high-quality archiving or streaming to distribution channels who then do encoding to mpeg-4. That is actually why we thinking of transcoder which can process input JPEG2000 from cameras or any (almost) uncompressed input and turn it into mpeg-4 or h.265 for the distribution.
As I understand correctly you do not need to work with any JPEG2000 inputs or you do not see such codec to be used at the environment you work(ed). I am trying to figure out if JPEG2000 is demanding or used at the broadcasting facilities.
thanks again for all the great technical details!

Michal

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Michal,

Within our facilities, we work with uncompressed video -- HDSDI. The only reason we do encoding of various sorts (MPEG2, MPEG4, JPEG2000) is to get the bitrate down to a rate that is reasonable to record or transmit over an RF or IP link. Recording equipmnent typically has its own CODECs built in, and for RF applications like over-the-air broadcast or satellite uplinks, we encode directly to whatever format is needed by the end user. I can't think of an application that would make us need to transcode from another compressed format to JPEG2000.

Jeff

michal.hrncirik

Post by michal.hrncirik » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you Jeff, it totally makes sense. If you don't mind, could you share the type of device you use for uncompressed video input to the "end-user" output formats? I am curious to know if that's a bunch of various decoders and encoders (each one per specific codec) or some sort of more sophisticated device "all-in-one".

Btw. my fault to be not very clear on the use case, I am also not seeing any application for compressed -> JPEG2000. It is more about JPEG2000 to h.264 and other end-user formats + still produce JPEG2000 output for archiving in high quality, as an example.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 am

For television stations in the United States, the most obvious use case is ATSC program encoding, which is MPEG2 with AC3 audio. We happen to use Harmonic Electra 9200 encoders, which incorporate several encoders with statistical multiplexing. We also stream MPEG4 over IP between our hub and spoke stations -- the Cobalt 9223 (formerly Immedia MV-EN460) is a typical encoder, and includes the IP streaming with FEC.

Jeff

michal.hrncirik

Post by michal.hrncirik » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 am

Hi Jeff,

these are excellent details, thank you so much!

Michal