Sat downlink problem

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
TonyG

Sat downlink problem

Post by TonyG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi there,

We have a pair of Suncom 2.4m C-band dishes here in Auckland that we use to uplink our audio streams to satellite. The downlink sites around the country (using mostly 2.4m Prodelins) are achieving C/N's of around 11-12dB, but our Suncom uplink dishes can only manage 7dB on receive. We've tried a handful of LNB's and have run new RG11 but no luck. The Suncoms used to perform well on receive but they are no longer doing so, so perhaps we have a TI problem? We want to do a test on a different satellite but I'm unwilling to try that while we have this issue. Any ideas gratefully considered.

Tony

ChuckG

Re: Sat downlink problem

Post by ChuckG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

What has changed recently? New antennas nearby? I've had WiMax installations wipe my C-band stuff right out. Are the SunCom dishes all co-located where TI could possibly be affecting them all? Looking at the LNB output with a spectrum analyzer might be interesting.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Re: Sat downlink problem

Post by TPT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 am

If you can get a spectrum analyzer, hook up a "bare" LNB (and power if the SA doesn't supply) and wave it around. Helps pinpoint nearby sources of TI.