Inventory Advice needed.

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
AnabolicHippo

Inventory Advice needed.

Post by AnabolicHippo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Good Morning, I was wondering if anyone would have any advice for doing an inventory of the radio station. As I understand it, there has been no inventory in the past and, even if one had been done, it is unlikely that anything from the past would have been usable anyways; there are some old tags on things, but no centralized system to monitor. I would like to get the infrastructure in place (software, barcode scanner, etc.,), as I will likely have access to some interns or students within the next 6 months or so. So, if anyone could offer any advice or layout your approach, it would be most appreciated.

The TLDR, I have been asked to do an inventory of the whole radio network, including office/non-tech equipment at the central office, and am looking for advice.

Thanks in advance,
AH

KPJL FM

Re: Inventory Advice needed.

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 am

First thing, determine what value ($$) an object needs to have before counting everything. Many objects should be considered expensable (consumable) rather than depreciable.
There's a few companies of the web that'll make to asset tags with incrementing numbers. You could get them with bar codes too. Stick them on the gear were you can see them when the gear is in the rack. My company seldom does :?
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

AnabolicHippo

Post by AnabolicHippo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:36 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 am
First thing, determine what value ($$) an object needs to have before counting everything. Many objects should be considered expensable (consumable) rather than depreciable.
There's a few companies of the web that'll make to asset tags with incrementing numbers. You could get them with bar codes too. Stick them on the gear were you can see them when the gear is in the rack. My company seldom does :?
Seems like solid advice, trying to anticipate the idea of them saying something like $50, what would you suggest as a reasonable baseline? One more follow-up, do you use any sort of software to manage your year to year inventory or will an excel sheet suffice?

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 am

You should find out from the company's accountants what's considered capital vs operating expense $$. Any item valued less than the breakpoint, don't inventory it.

A spread sheet may be fine to use. A company that produces things would have inventory, and that would take something better. Use a separate worksheet or page for each location. If this project is going to be extensive, consider using Access and making your own inventory entry form and reports. Or get a template from M$ on their website.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.