Why does the same radio station go from clear to staticky on two different frequencies in a 2 square mile area

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
davidruffner

Why does the same radio station go from clear to staticky on two different frequencies in a 2 square mile area

Post by davidruffner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 pm

To clarify, there's a radio station that I listen to that comes in clear where I am at 88.9MHz; at my work that is half an hour away, I have to consistently switch between 88.9 and 88.3 depending on where I am within about a 2 sq mile radius from work. I was thinking this may happen because that area is right on the edge of both frequencies' coverage. Is that assumption correct? Can a radio station have multiple affiliates with different frequencies in different target areas?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Shane

Re: Why does the same radio station go from clear to staticky on two different frequencies in a 2 square mile area

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 am

Yes and yes is the short answer. Some specifics would enable us to be more complete.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Re: Why does the same radio station go from clear to staticky on two different frequencies in a 2 square mile area

Post by TPT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 am

Not unusual for non-commercial stations (that's where they reside in the U.S.--between 88.1 and 91.9) to have both limited coverage areas, even using directional antennas, as well as low power translators to rebroadcast that main signal.

So, for example, your 88.3 signal may be a translator of the 88.9--and the 88.9 may have reduced their signal towards the town where you work because of allocation requirements & interference protection towards other stations.

Details on station's locations and calls would be helpful to identify exact situation

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 am

You very well may be listening to a state public radio or NPR network. Also many unrelated non-comm stations run NPR programming elements live.. Here at my shop, I can often hear a number of geography widely spaced stations in the non-comm band running identical programming. Just last week I was at a customer trying to reset the sloppy analog dial EAS receiver for a certain MS Public Radio signal. Almost every signal on the non-comm band was running exactly the same program from NPR although the stations were scattered across MS, TN & AL. ID's were few and far between. We finally just replaced the RX with a digital Rolls RX to make sure it was on the right channel.

Your location would allow someone to find the transmitter locations of those frequencies and possibly find another channel that would provide better service.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Radio-Locator.com will give you a rough indication of both the strength of various stations, given a location, as well as maps showing areas covered by each station. Enter a town, and they show you what you can expect to find on your FM dial.

The maps are kind of "generalized,"--if there is a mountain between you and a station won't show that, and their contour circles somewhat arbitrary.
However, FM coverage varies day to day, even hour to hour, due to weather and other factors. So their maps can give you a rough idea of coverage