Nautel NV10LT

FM does it with frequency!
rfn

Re: Nautel NV10LT

Post by rfn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Not entirely germane as my experience is limited to Nautel's AM line....but at one point some years ago they got a really bad bunch of fuse holders. In the circumstances at hand I'd give them close attention. Even if they've been replaced once - I recently had a replacement fuse holder go bad.

davek

Post by davek » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:45 pm

mbrockm wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:22 pm
We have had an NV30 for about 7 years. Had a problem at first blowing PA module 7. After we installed a shorting stub next to the output that problem ended. Now we just go thru a power supply or two a year. Fixed a couple by cleaning the bug juice out of the fan. If anyone (davek) has any tips on repairing them would save some $$. Mine seem to be blowing the power supply line fuses. Is there a common part which fails in these supplies causing the fuse to blow.
The NV30 transmitter has been overall very reliable. The remote interface is great. Nice when you can look at the screen and id the failure. Pretty to close to PHD (push here dummy) technology. I have heard Nautel is working on a mobile app. Which would be nice to get around the flash player problem with android browsers.
I have had pretty good response from support. I normally use support email. Usually I get a response withing a few hours of sending.
I was a Harris and Collins person for years. Starting with MW1 and FM25K. Great boxes back then. Nautel has a good rating from me so far.
PM me your email address Mark

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 am

I just installed a new NV LT 7.5 rig,, jumped up and played nicely right out of the box! When trying to interface with a local laptop it took rebooting the transmitter to get the changes to the IP protocol to take.
I am trying to get control of the presets with a remote control unit. By taking the Preset 1 or 2 to ground via the JA plug on the back of the controller the transmitter does not change power levels. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Rich,

Did you setup the RC pin functions in software? Put the TX in remote mode from the GUI?

rich wood wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 am
I just installed a new NV LT 7.5 rig,, jumped up and played nicely right out of the box! When trying to interface with a local laptop it took rebooting the transmitter to get the changes to the IP protocol to take.
I am trying to get control of the presets with a remote control unit. By taking the Preset 1 or 2 to ground via the JA plug on the back of the controller the transmitter does not change power levels. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 am

Yes Kevin, I did those steps. I think this "issue" requires reprogramming the Remote I/O settings. The TX on/off function works with the remote control.
Thanks

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 am

If you haven't already, go to the Remote I/O tab in the GUI to see exactly what function each RC input activates. It comes with a number of functions already mapped but they may not match what you are connected to and IIRC, they are not the same from model to model.

On the other hand, those inputs could be broke...

Regards,
rich wood wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 am
Yes Kevin, I did those steps. I think this "issue" requires reprogramming the Remote I/O settings. The TX on/off function works with the remote control.
Thanks
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:48 am

rich wood wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 am
I just installed a new NV LT 7.5 rig,...I am trying to get control of the presets with a remote control unit. By taking the Preset 1 or 2 to ground via the JA plug on the back of the controller the transmitter does not change power levels. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.
Rich, give me a holler when you're up and at 'em today. The remote interface can be a bit daunting, because each of the I/Os is totally user programmable. Default settings are in the installation manual and are normally configured for momentary ground to activate inputs, but there may have been something changed - either on our end before shipping or in the course of installing. Happy to walk you through it over the phone, so that you've got a mental picture for when you're standing in front of it! If you've got ON and OFF working, that would indicate that the problem isn't with the remote I/O on the transmitter controller (it all goes into the same chip), so more likely we've got a configuration problem or something like that.

Do you have the DB-25 connectors for the controller broken out into Phoenix terminals? The older I get, the more I like those, as I can't hardly see the pins on a DB25 anymore, unless I'm 6" away and looking over my glasses!

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

Xeroq

Post by Xeroq » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 am

TPT wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 pm
We've had a Nautel NV10LT for a little less than a year and a half. One Pa module (actually one of the amps inside) failure. Pulled the module out, un-soldered five wires, dropped in the new amp, soldered it up, plugged the module back in. Transmitter? Dropped down to 5 KW when I slid out the module, grunted and came back up when returned the repaired module. Oh--everything under warranty. 4 year warranty.

We have a combined site, heating/cooling heat pump. But we still noticed an immediate reduction in the electric bills after replacing our old Harris 10K with the Nautel. And--while certainly not recommended--it will even run with a missing phase in the three phase!

I wasn't there--former business partner, who is retired but still part of the company--usually stops by around lunch time most days. He heard the (single phase) generator running--transfer panel showed we were fed by the generator. So he went out to the transmitter building & found our three-phase NV10Lt happily purring along at around 5 kw with one phase missing. I talked him through getting our 1 kw back-up on, which then opens the interlock on the main transmitter.

Front panel: I just put an old computer in the bottom of the rack, and mounted a small monitor and keyboard on a rack shelf. Can't see spending extra $$$ for a built in touch-screen monitor that will just become a maintenance headache down the road. If the old computer dies, I can find another to take its place. Same with the little LCD monitor. Since we are a combined site, I can also pull up the transmitter on our house network.

Main gripe? Those plastic twist do-hickies that hold the front and back panels on. I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get them back in place.

Harris? Helped another station install a 5 kw Flexiva. The installation manual was a joke--the three phase instructions were written for three phase 440 hookup. Once it ran for a while, the controller decided it didn't trust the forward sample, so it kept trying to ramp up power until the transmitter would dump. Harris decided the exciter software needed to be updated--they had to send the exciter back to Quincy. Unfortunately, the exciter is so integrated into the transmitter, the only substitute was to kluge in a 20 year old Digit exciter from a HT-10.

Wouldn't touch a Harris after working with the Nautel.
I've encountered related instances where I had recurring fuses blow.I would suggest you test the tensions of the clips by exercising them with a fuse to insure they are pretty snug. Second thing is if these are the clips that bolt in, make sure the hardware is snugged up tight.Additionally,try out the Remote I/O tab in the GUI to see exactly what function each RC input activates.As you may realise, othe inputs could be broken as well.On spending an extra $s for a built in touch screen monitor,you may not be for the idea but I think it's a wise one.The problem seem to be the source,else the maintenance headache mentioned couldn't come into play.https://comparily.com/best-touch-screen-monitor/ will prove to be the ultimate solution to the recurring maintance headaches.I've been there and I know what I'm saying,thank me later.