Versa-Count LA-150

FM does it with frequency!
stephend2

Versa-Count LA-150

Post by stephend2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 pm

150W FM amplifier. I have it here, it seems functional but won't come close to making 150w. Anyone have any documentation on it? I've scoured google with no luck. Looking for tuning/alignment procedures to get it back in good working order for a backup. Seems to have a tuned output circuit, not broadband like current solid state amps.

Deep Thought

Re: Versa-Count LA-150

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:44 am

What are you driving it with?

I think those had regular bipolar transistors and not mosfets for the PA circuit and yes, you'll need to tune it on frequency. Unfortunately I don't have any docs but you should be able to figure out the circuit...they weren't that complicated. They've been gone for almost 35 years so finding anything online will be a real crapshoot.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:50 am

Man, there's a name that I haven't seen in years. Two guys in a garage down in Illinois.
As a real super-longshot you might try contacting Tepco in Rapid City, SD. They have (or had) docs for the old Robert Jones translator stuff, some of which was originally built by Versa Count. I forget the exact history there.
Maximum power output consistent with minimum collector current while maintaining a clean spectrum. Not much different than tuning old Marti stuff. Or (cough) new QEI stuff.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

stephend2

Post by stephend2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Have not come up with any manuals, however, as stated, really simple to tune up. All looks good, clean output, around 75% efficiency is what I was able to get out of it.

Driving with Harris MX-15 exciter.

jeeisenz

Post by jeeisenz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am

Did anything come out of this? I have one that I want to use in place of a squirrly exciter temporarily - and would like to wire in an interlock via the remote connector so it doesn't come on when there is no HV applied in the transmitter. I guess I'll have to retune it as well if what I'm reading is correct (I thought these were broadband....guess not!)

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 am

jeeisenz wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am
Did anything come out of this? I have one that I want to use in place of a squirrly exciter temporarily.
The OP did get it going, but this is (was?) a linear amplifier, not an exciter.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

jeeisenz

Post by jeeisenz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 am
The OP did get it going, but this is (was?) a linear amplifier, not an exciter.
Right - and I understand that. We have an exciter we would put in front of it to drive the amp. I was just wondering if he found a manual that could be shared if he found one - or it's a matter of "you're on your own, kid". :lol:

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

The company was long gone 20 years ago.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 pm

jeeisenz wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am
Did anything come out of this? I have one that I want to use in place of a squirrly exciter temporarily - and would like to wire in an interlock via the remote connector so it doesn't come on when there is no HV applied in the transmitter. I guess I'll have to retune it as well if what I'm reading is correct (I thought these were broadband....guess not!)
The OP hasn't been online in well over two years. He likely won't see your response.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"