Harris MSP 100

FM does it with frequency!
ejeuler

Harris MSP 100

Post by ejeuler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 am

Greetings,

I'm searching for a Harris MSP 100 audio processor (FM Stereo version), and/or manuals for same. Condition not an issue as long as it's complete (or close to it). If you have one in your boneyard, or know of where one is, please let me know.

Would also like to hear from anyone that worked with these units "back in the day."

Happy Holidays!

EJ

Kelly

Re: Harris MSP 100

Post by Kelly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:52 am

One of my personal stations had a pair of them on the air when we purchased the station. As I recall, they didn't do anything all that well as compared with audio processing of the day like Optimod, CRL boxes or Texar Audio Prisms. In particular, they were noisy.

Just curious, why would you want these?

ejeuler

Post by ejeuler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 am

Kelly wrote:Just curious, why would you want these?
Some people collect cars from their teens, I'm collecting broadcast equipment I either worked with or wanted to work with from my teens (honest! LOL!)

Thanks so much for the reply....If you happen to stumble across anything related to the MSP100, please drop me a note..

Thanks!

EJ

PA_TUNE

Post by PA_TUNE » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:41 pm

EJ -- I completely understand your desire to collect classic stuff. When I was a kid, there was a lot of ham gear that I desired that was far out of my price range. Today, I can have that coveted gear for a fraction of the price, and I get the pleasure of restoring it too.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:21 pm

@ejeuler: I always had a fascination with the MS-100 although none of my stations had one nor did I ever get the chance to obtain one to experiment with. When I started in broadcasting in my teens during the early 1970's I was exposed to such processors like the Gates tube dual limiter and Top Level as well as the CBS Audimax and Volumax. It wouldn't be until I ventured into commercial broadcasting I would get my eyes opened with all sort of processing gear from the original Dorrough 310's to various audio crushers.

If you should come across one I'd be interested in your progress in getting the beast up and running.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ejeuler

Post by ejeuler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks for the replies and encouragement! I was successful in finding a set of MSP 90's, but have not come across the MSP-100. If the 100 is anything like the 90's, the first thing that will need to happen is the change out of at least 100+ tantalum capacitors LOL!

My first exposure to stereo processing was the CBS Audimax/Volumax. The station I worked at purchased a new Optimod 8000 (1979) - I worked weekends, and that first weekend I stayed many hours past quitting time reading the manual on the 8000. I finally snagged an 8000a few years back, missing the manual, and "protection cover.". I would like to find an original manual for the 8000 one of these days. Thank goodness for sites like Harold Hallikainen's broadcast history site. At least some of the documentation has been saved.

Again, thanks for the well wishes.... maybe Santa will leave a MSP100 under the tree LOL!

EJ

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 pm

While not a printed manual, you should be able to download the manual for the 8000a from the Orban site if you simply need documentation.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ejeuler

Post by ejeuler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:While not a printed manual, you should be able to download the manual for the 8000a from the Orban site if you simply need documentation.
Hi Bill,

Yes, I pulled the manual down long before I actually found an 8000.... would like to find an original one of these days if possible..

Thanks for the message,

EJ

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:16 am

I have been collecting vintage broadcast consoles and other broadcast gear. I can remember as kid going to the transmitter site of a station my dad worked at on weekends, going through the gates/Harris catalog putting together "my radio station". Now I have several Gates boards and wonder what the heck I'm going to do when I start collecting old automation systems. Yes Kelly I would love to have that old carousel you have when you get back out here. There is the Old K2 Ski manufacturing plant out here. Lots of space for an automation collection!

ejeuler

Post by ejeuler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:31 am

sallen"Now I have several Gates boards and wonder what the heck I'm going to do when I start collecting old automation systems. Yes Kelly I would love to have that old carousel you have when you get back out here. There is the Old K2 Ski manufacturing plant out here. Lots of space for an automation collection!
I still have enough of my mind left to remember working on automation systems...... I'll stick with Rivendell for my playout system LOL! Seriously, that would the ultimate setup if one could find the parts to restore the decks, AND find enough original media in decent shape for playback. I seem to recall seeing a complete automation system up for sale - it would be very tempting if one had the room, AND the ability to move it. There's a reference to a full tape automation system owned by a gentleman in Louisville, KY in this article - http://trikfm.com/historyIF.html . There's a number of Google reference's to him, I need to check them out. Perhaps someone knows of some pictures of his setup?

UPS delivered a Harris MS-15R yesterday... looking forward to doing a restoration on that.

There's a Harris sales engineer that has posted a number of comments in passing about this unit (and its OVSC module). As I recall, he said the setup procedure outlined in the manual is incorrect, and there was a fellow in Chicago (I think), that figured that out, and was able to improve the performance of the unit by proper setup. Anyone here have any insight about that? I did find the MS-15R manual at http://bh.hallikainen.org/wiki/index.ph ... 20Division , but have not had a chance to look at it yet.

EJ

rosannefan

Post by rosannefan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Hey folks - I have a fully restored MSP-100. Just thought I would share my love for these units at well and a pic or two. I also have a working stereo MSP-90 and three sort of working/parts mono MSP-90's, which, if I'm not mistaken, are for mono AM?

Greg Snow up at SUNY-Fredonia restored my MSP-100 and stereo 90 and even did a few mods (Red/Green/Blue LED meter lights for one).. I also use a CBS Audimax to produce and mix music. All great units, also restored by Greg.

I am in search of the extender cards for the MSP units so I can make adjustments while running audio through them. But as these units are rare themselves, lord knows the cards would be even more so. Did someone say there was a former Harris sales tech lurking somewhere?

Cheers,
BB
msp-100.jpg
Harris MSP-100 MSP-90 (MSP100 MSP90 MSP 100 90)
msp-100 msp-90 lights.jpg
Harris MSP-100 MSP-90
msp-100 msp-90 lights.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 298 times
msp-100 manual page.jpg
Harris MSP manual

RGORJANCE

Re: there was a former Harris sales tech lurking

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 pm

There is indeed a former Harris Salesman hiding out here. He does prefer to remain lurking/hiding, waiting to pounce at a moment's notice.

Regarding your search for an extender card, I am going out on a limb here, but that ain't nuttin new! My thoughts on it are that memory says the MSP-100 used the same box as the MS-15/MX-15 exciter. There is a possibility that they used the same extender card. If you could scare up an exciter extender card, you could try sizing it for compatibility.

I sold several of these combinations of proc and exciter. In it's day, a decent combo, but only if you were well versed in the processing. The 100 could be made to sound good, or bad very quickly.

Fossil

ejeuler

Post by ejeuler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Nice looking stack of gear!

I finally was able to get a MSP100 in very nice shape about 6 months ago. I've managed to located volume II of the manual, but need a scan, copy or original of volume 1 for the MSP100. If you have volume 1, I will gladly pay you up front to take it to Kinko's or Staples for a copy and/or scan.

RGORJANCE is correct. The same module extender used to work on the MS/MX-15 exciters will work with both the MSP100 and the MSP 90's. I had to replace most of the meters on my unit, as the Modutec units tend to snap the "hair spring wire" arrangement used on the movement. I've not even started the restoration process.

I'll let my secret out of the bag now that I finally found one of these. I grew up in Dayton, OH in the late 70's, and around 1980 a station out of Hamilton, Ohio - YES 95, WYYS, hit the airwaves. It was rumored (by a person I trusted) that the station used a MSP100 as their processor. I spent all summer/fall of 1980 listening to that station and cannot remember hearing another station that has ever sounded better.

If you were part of WYYS and can shed any light on the station's processing chain, I'd love to hear from you.

I do have a MSP90 broadband limiter/peak limiter and stereo generator setup working that sounds fantastic. It is not a box that requires a few knob twists to get there, but what a wonderful sound when tuned up.

I had to put my Harris gear on the back burner. My Optimod 8000A's broadband limiter stopped working a few weeks ago and I found out the epoxied module "A1" had died. I'd always wondered what was in that black blob, so now I know. The 8000 plays again, so it's back to the next project(s).