Capacitors

FM does it with frequency!
JustMe

Capacitors

Post by JustMe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 am

I am planning to recap an old Orban FM processor. In the past, I have used Panasonic caps with good results. At one time, Panasonic offered a broad array of caps of various sizes, voltage ratings and values. However, Panasonic now seems to have drastically cut back their offerings, not anything like they offered at one time. Can anyone suggest a decent brand of cap for this project? I am NOT looking for the cheapest brand I can find, but reliable caps.

kcbooboo

Re: Capacitors

Post by kcbooboo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:11 am

Both Mouser and Digikey sell Panasonic caps. That's the brand I'd go for. However I haven't had any issues with Nichicon.

Today's caps are most likely smaller than the originals, and axial caps are getting harder to find. You can use a slightly higher voltage cap (i.e. 25V instead of 16V) as long as you can match the microfarad value. Try to get 105 degree C caps where available unless the unit will be in a cooler space, then 85 degree C caps should be fine.

Bob M.

davek

Post by davek » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 pm

UCC (United ChemiCom) or Nippon ChemiCon caps are also highly rated and reliable.

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:09 pm

If this is an 8100, you'll need two of these from Mouser:

Mouser Part No. 539-CGS50V5000 , screw terminal electrolytic capacitor, 5,000 UF/50 volt

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 am

Depending on whether you want to keep everything original or not, those screw terminal caps are very expensive. You can buy a snap-in cap that'll be much smaller and cheaper. Just clip off the crimp-on lugs from the old cap and solder the wires to the snap-in terminals. Even if you can't find 5000uF at 50V, you can tape two or three lower-value caps together and they'll still take up less space than the original.

I recall a post where someone built an adapter for twist-lock caps. Something similar could probably be made for snap-in caps and screw terminals, even if it just uses a nut and bolt.

Bob M.

davek

Post by davek » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm

kcbooboo wrote: I recall a post where someone built an adapter for twist-lock caps. Something similar could probably be made for snap-in caps and screw terminals, even if it just uses a nut and bolt.

Bob M.
That was me :)
http://www.broadcastengineering.info/vi ... 457#p34457

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 am

It will cost you about $64 plus shipping for the two big electrolytics. The way they are mounted you can save a lot of grief just buying the right replacement rather than try to find a work-around. The remainder of the caps are all radials, and you'll probably have another $10~$15 total in those small caps. Don't forget the voltage regulator board on the back panel of the unit....when you replace the big filters plan on taking the entire back panel loose so you can get to this little circuit board as well. You will need to pull the regulator transistors on the back panel (screwdriver job--they plug into sockets), smear some silicon grease on them when you put them back.

These big caps are the power supply filters, take a photo before you remove them since they provide filtering for the + and - supplies, hence are hooked up differently (negative supply cap has + connected to ground).