BE FM25T Tube Change issue

FM does it with frequency!
ChuckG

Re: Svetlana Russian made tubes

Post by ChuckG » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Kelly wrote:
I frequently thought they should have renamed those tubes: Y-ME148.

I had a name that was slightly less family-friendly for them. Never had a tube crack it's ceramic as often as those and they were wildly unpredictable. Had one last 7 years, the next would crack inside of 24 hours.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Re: Svetlana Russian made tubes

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Kelly wrote: I frequently thought they should have renamed those tubes: Y-ME148.
The YU148 was second only to the 5CX1500 for being a PITA for me. Others might have a broader view...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

bill981

Re: BE FM25T Tube Change issue

Post by bill981 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:31 am

I've had both good and bad luck with Econco. First bad one was in a CCA FM25000G. Replaced it with a warranty one. Sent it back and called and they said is was a leaker. That was in the early '90s.

Next was this year. Had the POW! syndrome. Put in the spare, same thing. Got a well used rebuild from one of our other stations that worked very well. Got a newly rebuilt from Econco and that has been running fine ever since. It's a crap shoot.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Its a a crap shoot because power grid tubes are closer to hand built than mass produced. Interelectrode capacitance can vary widely and at FM frequencies this can make a big difference. At one point I worked with another contractor who sold rebuilds. We had enough spare AM and FM transmitters to pre-test and grade tubes for AM and FM. We reduced the degree of it being a crap shoot. Basically the ones that performed poorly on FM were good for AM.

fmrfman

Post by fmrfman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 pm

disregard

fmrfman

Post by fmrfman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:59 pm

JammerDave:

No HD.

Don't have access to a SpecAN. At this point I think I would have to put the "interference complaints" in the not related category. Shes been rock steady and humming right along with the new tube.

fmrfman

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:54 am

Hmm.. If no HD, then check the AM noise if you can... Other than that, I'm stumped without a spec an..

df

fmrfman wrote:JammerDave:

No HD.

Don't have access to a SpecAN. At this point I think I would have to put the "interference complaints" in the not related category. Shes been rock steady and humming right along with the new tube.

fmrfman