Orban FTP Details

FM does it with frequency!
lewiscallaway

Orban FTP Details

Post by lewiscallaway » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Does anyone here know the username/password or how I can obtain a username and password for the Orban FTP site?

I'm trying to access the documents on recapping an 8100.

Thanks!

TPT

Re: Orban FTP Details

Post by TPT » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Interesting--it is down.

However, recapping is not difficult. And I have the 8100 manual appendix with the schematics as a PDF on my home computer. PM me if you need it.

1. You will need two of these caps (5000 uf at 50 volts) for the main filters: Mouser #539-CG50V5000

2. There are, as I recall, two 47 @ 50 volt radials on the power supply regulator, which is mounted on the back panel. You need to fold out the back panel & pull the two transistors to get at the board. A bunch of screws need to come out.

3. For the most part you just go through each card & replace the caps across the power supply rails. There are some other coupling caps, but most are tantalums. The rail bypass caps vary according to the age of the cards--I've found anywhere from 22 to 100 uf. Don't think it is all that critical, but leaky bypass caps will cause the most trouble as they age.

Most boards have markings to indicate the polarity orientation of the caps. Still, doesn't hurt to use a sharpie & put a dot on the positive lead side. Be very careful replacing the big filters--easy to get confused if distracted--this is a +/- supply, so one cap has the + leads to ground.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:40 am

The ORBAN site is being moved.

PA_TUNE

Post by PA_TUNE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:40 pm

W2XJ wrote:The ORBAN site is being moved.
Ah it's the old "Let's take down the old site before we put the new site up and leave our customers in the dark" trick. Didn't Harris/GatesAir do this to us last year?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm

PA_TUNE wrote:
Ah it's the old "Let's take down the old site before we put the new site up and leave our customers in the dark" trick. Didn't Harris/GatesAir do this to us last year?
This is Day Sequerra we're talking about here...it'll be lucky to get back up at all.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Quit holding back, Mark! Tell us how you REALLY feel! :lol:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

PA_TUNE

Post by PA_TUNE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:45 am

It's back, in case anybody cares.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
PA_TUNE wrote:
This is Day Sequerra we're talking about here...it'll be lucky to get back up at all.
Sounds the same way I feel about them after they screwed up the repair of an M2 modulation monitor. After waiting months for it to come back it still didn't come back working properly! If I could afford a Belar or Inovonics I'd chuck that piece of trash in a heartbeat! They'll be the reason I'll avoid Orban gear now, too.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

taylorengineer

Post by taylorengineer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:36 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
PA_TUNE wrote:
Sounds the same way I feel about them after they screwed up the repair of an M2 modulation monitor. After waiting months for it to come back it still didn't come back working properly! If I could afford a Belar or Inovonics I'd chuck that piece of trash in a heartbeat! They'll be the reason I'll avoid Orban gear now, too.
I bought a new Optimod 8700 just days before the announced sale. It came to me DOA. Orban tech support was quick to get the box back and get things squared away so I'm optimistic that I will remain happy in the future. Most Orban products NEVER need repair unless they attempt to dance with lightning or are installed incorrectly.
It seems to be the opinion of many engineers in my area that Orban products will no longer be purchased because of Day-Sequerra's terrible support reputation. The mod monitors are junk - out of three we own only one still works somewhat correctly. We had the same, "send it in for three months, pay several many hundreds of dollars, and get it back just as broke as before" experience. They have lost several orders from us because of this.
Bob Orban probably had no say in this sale since he cashed out years ago. It still must be difficult to produce one of the best designed products and lose sales because of mismanagement. Maybe his influence will lead to a better Day-Sequerra starting with a revamp of the tech support division.