Scala FM Antennas

FM does it with frequency!
pdeal

Scala FM Antennas

Post by pdeal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 am

We are getting some engineering done and a Scala CA5-FM antenna is being recommended. These things look awful fragile to me. Anybody got any experience with these? What about icing?

rich wood

Re: Scala FM Antennas

Post by rich wood » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Looking at the spec sheet, the antenna does look a bit lite. What part of the country and where on the tower will it be mounted. Icing is less of a factor if the antenna is flat in the VSWR response for several megs.

rfn

Post by rfn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm

The strength is in the materials but also notice the brace in the online illustrations. I've used Scala antennae of several types in arctic conditions where extreme icing and high winds are the norm....used 'em for over 45 years and some I installed in 1972 are still in service and, though somewhat oxidized, seem as strong as ever. Somebody has steered you to a good thing!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 pm

pdeal wrote:We are getting some engineering done and a Scala CA5-FM antenna is being recommended. These things look awful fragile to me. Anybody got any experience with these? What about icing?
There are literally 100's of these in service in this country. They are very popular with FM translators, as both TX and RX antennas.
I've photographed so many of them I've lost count.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 am

These antennas are well built and will last many years. If you put it up mounted vertical and aim it at one market you need to cover it will be fine. If you try multiple antennas you will have a mess of coverage, I recommend not doing that. Instead buy a Nicom or other broadcast antenna designed to be cascaded with multiple bays.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:43 pm

The thing I hate about them is that the Commission licenses them as though they were in a vacuum and they only reference the spec. sheet pattern, no matter how it is oriented with respect to the tower. I have used that to my advantage for clients but I have also had clients get creamed by interference from them due to the pattern distortion from the supporting structure.

...Lee

pdeal

Post by pdeal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Thank you for the responses. The only few directional antennas i have worked with were Shively and like them very much. This is certainly a lot cheaper though. The nice thing about The Shiveleys is they model them considering the tower i think.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:06 am

All of the Scala antennas are considered 'off the shelf' patterns which is one of the reasons they are so cheap compared to a custom-designed and range-verified directional antennas. They do fairly well if mounted correctly.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:13 am

Never seen anything from Scala that wasn't built like a brick sh**house....

pdeal wrote:We are getting some engineering done and a Scala CA5-FM antenna is being recommended. These things look awful fragile to me. Anybody got any experience with these? What about icing?