Energy Onix Blower

FM does it with frequency!
Encoder

Energy Onix Blower

Post by Encoder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello,
I need to replace the blower in a Eco-4 transmitter. Does anyone have spares they would be willing to sell or any place that you know of that sells or refurbishes them?

Thanks

TPT

Re: Energy Onix Blower

Post by TPT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 am

The last time I had to change a blower I believe I found one that looked similar at Grainger. Problem was the hardware and mounting of the squirrel cage, I ended up getting one from Energy-Onix. Bernie Wise bought those ECO series blowers from someone in New Jersey--don't know if that company still exists or not. Of course, any thing left at the plant is tied up.

If you are in a big enough city, you may be able to find someone who can replace bad bearings. If that's not the problem, you are looking at a retrofit.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:50 am

Most mid to large cities has an electrical motor rebuilder. I take blowers to a shop in Florence AL and they typically rewind, balance and replace bearings in them the same day.

I have only had one blower that they couldn't repair. It was a cheap offshore unit that came out of a QEI tx that was pressed together and would have destroyed the housing taking it apart.

Regards,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Encoder

Post by Encoder » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Thank you both for your response and suggestions. I will try and find someone that can rebuild the blower.

Regards,
Josh

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:23 am

I don't recall the manufacturer of the blower, but I did contact them about a replacement once. Essentially they don't retail the blowers, but would be willing to sell one to you...if you could wait 3 weeks or so. For a premium, they could provide "expedited delivery" and would be happy to ship your blower in about a week or so.

I found the following motor would work, but required spacers between the end frame of the motor and the blower housing:

AO Smith BF1052V1

This motor is the same HP and RPM. I have had one running in a ECO-4 for about two years without any issues, other than the mounting spacers.

As others have suggested, getting the original rebuilt would be the best option. In my area of the country all of the motor shops have been closed for several years, so that was not an option for me.

Good luck!

Kevin

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:12 am

I think Omaha still has a shop that does this. I was in their neighborhood today but forgot to look.

Probably a lot of those AOSmith blowers around here drying corn all autumn.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---