Possessed Barix 500 Reboots Itself

FM does it with frequency!
Raulcaro

Possessed Barix 500 Reboots Itself

Post by Raulcaro » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Folks,

I would like to say that I am not an experienced but have managed to build an LPFM and soon adding a translator. My issue is this. I have (5) Barix 500s four of which are located at the tower site. Two of these boxes act as a reflector bringing in a stream from StreamGuys and out over the transmnitter. The third box acts as an STL & the last box as a streamer to the internet.

Three months ago, I noticed heard the main box reboot itself over the air. When the Barix reboots an audio calls out its Ip address. It has done this daily. I did not have at the time any of the boxes connected to our APC Switched Rack PDU (the PDU is a unit that can be programmed to reboot a device, mode, router, etc. at a specific time). The boxes where connected to a power strip on the rack.

After speaking with Barix USA for forty minutes, we could not figure out why other than all the boxes at the tower where rebooting themselves at different times. The box at the studio had not rebooted itself and was doing its job. Barix had me unplug the main box and directly plug it into the power outlet located on the wall for a few nights. The short story is that the box continued to reboot itself.

The box itself is connected to the internet via a TMC modem, Cisco Business router and off-brand Ethernet hub. The only way I know that a Barix can be rebooted is by terminating power to it or by command via the web interface.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this? Router? Malware on the box (i reinstalled the firmware), demons?

Thank you kindly for your ideas.

Raul

ChuckG

Re: Possessed Barix 500 Reboots Itself

Post by ChuckG » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Try swapping the power supply with a different Barix and see if the problem follows.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:57 pm

I also believe you can mute the unit from audibly reciting its IP over the air, too.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes you can but that can be risky, too.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am

Generally, turning off the IP readout would only be risky if you have the network settings on DHCP. Even then, you could find the box by looking up the connected device table in your router.

That said, this is a strange one. You've done everything I've heard be recommended in a case like this. About the only thing that hasn't been confirmed is what kind of security you have programmed in there.

On the possibility this could be incoming from a bot, malicious individual or disgruntled individual...

Do you have a password installed? That will stop most problems.

You can also put a web server port number in the network settings, which then requires that you know the incoming IP address AND the port number to get in (with a dynamic incoming IP address, you'll have to also program the port into your router and put a static LAN number in the Barix). Add the password and you have about as much security as you can get for the thing.

If none of that works and you're sure you have good power, then RF is about the only other thing I could think of.... and even then, I've never seen RF affect a Barix.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 pm

ChuckG wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 pm
Try swapping the power supply with a different Barix and see if the problem follows.
This. Swap the studio unit power supply which is not exhibiting the issue with the offending main unit.

A couple things you might already have checked but were not mentioned: What is the temp at the tower equipment? How long has the tower equipment been installed and what temperature extremes has it been subjected to and for how long? "Wall wart" switching power supplies can be notoriously bad news if subjected to high temps.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am

Raulcaro wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:35 pm
The short story is that the box continued to reboot itself.
I had this happen with one of the Barix boxes I installed. As stated before, it was a power supply (wall wart).
Quick run to Radio Shack (when they were open), an aftermarket supply, works like a champ!

-- Mike
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 pm
ChuckG wrote:
This. Swap the studio unit power supply which is not exhibiting the issue with the offending main unit.

A couple things you might already have checked but were not mentioned: What is the temp at the tower equipment? How long has the tower equipment been installed and what temperature extremes has it been subjected to and for how long? "Wall wart" switching power supplies can be notoriously bad news if subjected to high temps.
Thank you for the tip. I do live in the desert and during the summer time the outside temps do reach up to 115 F. The AC did go out for a period of time until American Tower fixed it. So it does make sense about a malfunctioning power supply(s). The Barix unit at the studio hasnt had prolonged exposure to heat. The units are about two years old. So I hear you say is to swap out the power supply of the working unit at the studio to see if that fixes the problem. If it does then I can buy an after market product like Wall Mart?

Thanks

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 pm

NECRAT wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am
Raulcaro wrote:
I had this happen with one of the Barix boxes I installed. As stated before, it was a power supply (wall wart).
Quick run to Radio Shack (when they were open), an aftermarket supply, works like a champ!

-- Mike
Thank you for this tip. Ill give it a try.

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:53 pm

NECRAT wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am
Raulcaro wrote:

-- Mike
Thank you. I am happy to have found someone with the same problem. Have you continued to have any problems? Were the units exposed to heat or what do you think caused the problem?

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

ChuckG wrote:
Thanks Chuck

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:57 pm

RodeoJack wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am
Generally, turning off the IP readout would only be risky if you have the network settings on DHCP. Even then, you could find the box by looking up the connected device table in your router.

That said, this is a strange one. You've done everything I've heard be recommended in a case like this. About the only thing that hasn't been confirmed is what kind of security you have programmed in there.

On the possibility this could be incoming from a bot, malicious individual or disgruntled individual...

Do you have a password installed? That will stop most problems.

You can also put a web server port number in the network settings, which then requires that you know the incoming IP address AND the port number to get in (with a dynamic incoming IP address, you'll have to also program the port into your router and put a static LAN number in the Barix). Add the password and you have about as much security as you can get for the thing.

If none of that works and you're sure you have good power, then RF is about the only other thing I could think of.... and even then, I've never seen RF affect a Barix.

Thanks. I dont have a password on this particular Barix. On one I do but it exhibts the same behavior. Ill install password protection to see if that helps if the power supply replacement doesnt

Raulcaro

Post by Raulcaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm

One thought regarding changing out the power supply on the Barix 500. If in fact that is the issue due to lets say a toasty summer day would a faulty or damaged supply explain that it reboots at the same time everyday?

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Raulcaro wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm
One thought regarding changing out the power supply on the Barix 500. If in fact that is the issue due to lets say a toasty summer day would a faulty or damaged supply explain that it reboots at the same time everyday?
Possibly. If the filtering in the supply has become marginal, one possibility is that the power company may be switching something at the same time every day, generating a transient that knocks it offline.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am

Get another power supply. I've done that more than once, even when the box doesn't have a problem.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.