2 FM's, same channel

FM does it with frequency!
knoxbob

2 FM's, same channel

Post by knoxbob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:55 pm

It is a slow night at work so as I surf through radio-locator I see that WPKE licensed to coal Run, Ky just outside Pikeville, has a CP to move from 103.1 class A to 92.1 class C3, nothing strange about that but also on 92.1 is WDIC a class A licensed to Clinchco, Va. as the crow flies these stations can't be 20 miles apart. Unless I missed something in the FCC filings about WDIC being sold or shut down how could this one slip through the cracks?

Deep Thought

Re: 2 FM's, same channel

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 am

Part of a channel swap which was supposed to involuntary move WDIC-FM to channel 276A. WDIC fought the change and never filed to move, and the WPKE CP would have expired in 2015 but they managed to get the CP tolled due to WDIC not moving. Much legal poo was flung and the whole thing was canned. Interesting that it is still in CDBS since the Report and Order deleted it.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=51977
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

knoxbob

Post by knoxbob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:56 am

Thanks Mark. I didn't think one station could cause another station to change freq. I thought there had to be a benefit for at least 2 stations for that to happen. We had a similar situation around Knoxville a few years back where WOKI @ 98.7 wanted to go to 98.3 and increase to 50kw (not sure what class) and they would force WHAY and WDEH both on 98.3 to move to another channel. Only WDEH objected but the CP was approved and then it was all dropped and no changes happened.

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 am

Yes, you can cause another station to change frequency, but you would have to pay for their move.

One of my stations was originally on 101.7 as a Class A, we found 93.9 as a Class B-1. However, there was a 94.3 Class A 17 miles west of us.
Commission approved our upgrade, conditioned on our paying the expenses of that Class A to move to 102.3. As it turned out, that station was able to move 10 miles further west and increase to a B-1 on 102.1---so we didn't have to pay their moving costs.