Translator Receive Signal Booster

FM does it with frequency!
fmrfman

Translator Receive Signal Booster

Post by fmrfman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 pm

We have a translator broadcasting on 96.3 fed off air from our 100k main signal 60 miles away. We are only getting 2 bars of signal on our Dayton 210 which feeds a PTEK 300ES (brand new). Of course we don't sound very good. We've got a radio shack a stones throw from the site so I bought an old school VHF/UHF/FM booster for testing and it gave me 4 more bars of gain. We sounded fantastic with the exception of a steady half-second interval white noise "dash-dash-dash-dash" sound coming over air. A fellow engineer suggested it might be "self interference" from the receive signal so he brought over a notch filter. It gave us 31db of notch at our receive signal of 88.5 which attenuated the "dash-dash-dash-dash" but it was still clearly audible.

We do have a few other items in the dog shed including 911/sheriff equipment, computer, R/C, cable modem. I turned EVERYTHING off one at a time including the small UPS to no avail.

Ultimately want to replace the receive antenna coax feed but for now can anyone recommend a broadcast suitable FM receive signal booster? I am certain the noise is coming from the consumer signal booster from R.S. (This is a temp fix until I can get back down there).

In regards to the coax run:
They ran 150' of new coax in 2012 which I think was rg8. Wondering if we would get enough additional gain to justify replacing that with rg11.

Deep Thought

Re: Translator Receive Signal Booster

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:05 pm

What you need is more like the old cable TV "channel processors" which are single-channel fixed-tuned receivers with tuned front ends. The problem with adding a wideband amplifier to a low signal level scenario is you amplify everything along with the desired signal.

I would imagine the 'dash' interference is due to off channel overload.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:15 am

Do a web search for companies selling co-ax BPF and BSF. I think one was called microwave filter. I had used something like those many times to narrow down a signal, or kill a particular interference. May cost about $100 each, but usually worth it.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Addressing the original question, i think some analysis is necessary. 150 feet of RG-8 has less than 2 db loss and what is important is signal to noise ratio and not necessarily signal level. The first thing I would want to know is how much signal there is. A better solution might be a better receiver and no preamp which would be appropriate if if there was about 50 microvolts at the receiver. The Deva Broadcast receivers are about the best out there for this purpose.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 pm

I pulled off installing a translator that was picking up a class A from Lincoln, NE on 88.5 in Omaha, about 50 miles away and next to a Channel 6 full power TV, using a Sumo Charlie audiophile tuner and it was rock solid reliable. I notice that there is one on eBay for $150.00 at the moment. As I recall I used a Scala receive antenna to feed the tuner.

...Lee

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 pm

So YOU'RE the one! :)
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---